Why do the members of Congress rushing to befriend the Castros ignore the island's pro-democracy movement?
The Washington Post
Thursday, April 9, 2009; A16
HALF A DOZEN members of the Congressional Black Caucus spent hours huddling with Fidel and Raúl Castro in Havana this week as part of a swelling campaign to normalize relations with Cuba. "It is time to open dialogue and discussion," Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) told a news conference in Washington after their return. "Cubans do want dialogue. They do want talks." Funny, then, that in five days on the island the Congress members found no time for dialogue with Afro-Cuban dissident Jorge Luis García Pérez.
Mr. García, better known as "Antúnez," is a renowned advocate of human rights who has often been singled out for harsh treatment because of his color. "The authorities in my country," he has said, "have never tolerated that a black person [could dare to] oppose the regime." His wife, Iris, is a founder of the Rosa Parks Women's Civil Rights Movement, named after an American hero whom Afro-Cubans try to emulate. The couple have been on a hunger strike since Feb. 17, to demand justice for an imprisoned family member. They are part of a substantial and steadily growing civil movement advocating democratic change in Cuba -- one that U.S. advocates of detente with the Castros appear determined to ignore.
Click here to read this article in its entirety...
- ► 2016 (92)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
04/05 - 04/12
- From the Elected Members of the Cuban-American Com...
- On Cuba, Obama must first think of Latin America –...
- Don't Buy Your Ticket to Cuba Just Yet
- Cuba After Castro
- News Conference on U.S. Policy Toward Cuba
- Possible Cuba Policy Changes Spark Debate
- Congressional Black Caucus Members Should Have Vis...
- Debate on NPR
- Coddling Cuba
- Cuban PAC blasts CBC trip as 'embarrassment'
- Just when you think it can't possibly get worse......
- Lawmakers' Cuba concerns are misplaced
- Congressional Black Caucus Urged To Visit Afro-Cub...
- State Department Press Briefing - Ambassador Jeffr...
- Bail out Cuba? No way!
- ▼ 04/05 - 04/12 (16)