The State Department confirmed today that the Administration will boycott Durban II -- a U.N. Conference on Racism -- set for April 20th over objectionable language in the meeting's final document that could -- once again -- single out Israel for criticism.
The planning committee for Durban II had selected Iran to preside as a Vice-Chair, Libya as Chair of the "Main Committee" running the conference and Cuba as the Rapporteur.
During the first Durbin conference in 2001, the U.S. delegation walked out, as then U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said some of the language in the draft declaration and program of action constituted "a throwback to the days of 'Zionism equals racism." Powell was referring to a 1975 General Assembly resolution condemning Zionism sponsored by Islamic States and Cuba, repealed in 1991.
- ► 2016 (650)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
04/12 - 04/19
- Obama Boycotts Durban II, Castro Is Surely Disappo...
- The Ball Is In Cuba's Court
- WH: Actions Speak Louder Than Words
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 2
- The U.S. Has Changed Over Time, It's Now Cuba's Tu...
- Background Briefing (Cuba Portions Only)
- Morning Session at the Summit
- Did Raul Make An "Overture" to Obama? Not Likely....
- Chris Matthews Slams Engagement With Castro
- Obama to Chavez: Hi, I'm Barack Obama
- Obama Speech at Summit
- Menendez Statement On Raul Castro's Comments
- Q&A w/ WH Press Secretary Gibbs
- From Air Force One (en route to Trinidad)
- Obama Calls Lula For Leverage Against Chavez
- The Most Expensive Remittance Market In the World
- Germany Is Not Happy With Cuba Dialogue
- Fidel Thanks Congressional Opponents of U.S. Polic...
- Raul Responds to Obama
- Not a Republican Issue, Nor a Democrat Issue
- Chavez Proclaims Cuban Democracy
- Obama in Mexico (on Cuba)
- Congresswoman Laura Richardson's Press Release
- In Kansas Senate Race, Moran, Tiahrt Differ On Cub...
- Obama’s Actions Favor Castros, Not Human Rights
- From Air Force One
- U.S. Policy Change Means More Money, Visits
- Full Transcript of Obama on Cuba
- Op-ed by President Barack Obama: ‘Choosing a Bette...
- Obama Directly Comments on Cuba
- A Bulls-Eye Analysis That Deserves National Attent...
- Lifting U.S. Sanctions Risks Opening Pandora's Box...
- Canada opposes Cuba rejoining the OAS
- In My Humble Opinion...
- State Department Inspector General's Report
- Iowa Senator Favors Embargo Until Cubans Have Free...
- From Obama's Backyard
- From Trinidad and Tobago
- How to Welcome Havana to the OAS
- Rep. Sires On Obama Cuba Changes
- Rep. Kendrick Meek opposes President Barack Obama'...
- As the U.S. moves to unilaterally ease the flow of...
- Obama Memorandum: Promoting Democracy and Human Ri...
- White House Cuba Press Briefing
- Reaction to Obama Administration Announcement
- Today's Announcement
- Wasserman Schultz to Obama: Don't enrich the Castr...
- Think Again: Engaging Cuba
- ▼ 04/12 - 04/19 (48)