Edited for Cuba portion:
Finally, we know that true security only comes with liberty and justice. Those are bedrock values of the Inter-American charter. Generations of our people have worked and fought and sacrificed for them. And it is our responsibility to advance them in our time.
So together, we have to stand up against any force that separates any of our people from that story of liberty -- whether it's crushing poverty or corrosive corruption; social exclusion or persistent racism or discrimination. Here in this room, and on this dais, we see the diversity of the Americas. Every one of our nations has a right to follow its own path. But we all have a responsibility to see that the people of the Americans [sic] have the ability to pursue their own dreams in democratic societies.
There's been several remarks directed at the issue of the relationship between the United States and Cuba, so let me address this. The United States seeks a new beginning with Cuba. I know that there is a longer -- (applause) -- I know there's a longer journey that must be traveled to overcome decades of mistrust, but there are critical steps we can take toward a new day. I've already changed a Cuba policy that I believe has failed to advance liberty or opportunity for the Cuban people. We will now allow Cuban Americans to visit the islands whenever they choose and provide resources to their families -- the same way that so many people in my country send money back to their families in your countries to pay for everyday needs.
Over the past two years, I've indicated, and I repeat today, that I'm prepared to have my administration engage with the Cuban government on a wide range of issues -- from drugs, migration, and economic issues, to human rights, free speech, and democratic reform. Now, let me be clear, I'm not interested in talking just for the sake of talking. But I do believe that we can move U.S.-Cuban relations in a new direction.
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
- ► 2016 (547)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
04/12 - 04/19
- Obama Boycotts Durban II, Castro Is Surely Disappo...
- The Ball Is In Cuba's Court
- WH: Actions Speak Louder Than Words
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 2
- The U.S. Has Changed Over Time, It's Now Cuba's Tu...
- Background Briefing (Cuba Portions Only)
- Morning Session at the Summit
- Did Raul Make An "Overture" to Obama? Not Likely....
- Chris Matthews Slams Engagement With Castro
- Obama to Chavez: Hi, I'm Barack Obama
- Obama Speech at Summit
- Menendez Statement On Raul Castro's Comments
- Q&A w/ WH Press Secretary Gibbs
- From Air Force One (en route to Trinidad)
- Obama Calls Lula For Leverage Against Chavez
- The Most Expensive Remittance Market In the World
- Germany Is Not Happy With Cuba Dialogue
- Fidel Thanks Congressional Opponents of U.S. Polic...
- Raul Responds to Obama
- Not a Republican Issue, Nor a Democrat Issue
- Chavez Proclaims Cuban Democracy
- Obama in Mexico (on Cuba)
- Congresswoman Laura Richardson's Press Release
- In Kansas Senate Race, Moran, Tiahrt Differ On Cub...
- Obama’s Actions Favor Castros, Not Human Rights
- From Air Force One
- U.S. Policy Change Means More Money, Visits
- Full Transcript of Obama on Cuba
- Op-ed by President Barack Obama: ‘Choosing a Bette...
- Obama Directly Comments on Cuba
- A Bulls-Eye Analysis That Deserves National Attent...
- Lifting U.S. Sanctions Risks Opening Pandora's Box...
- Canada opposes Cuba rejoining the OAS
- In My Humble Opinion...
- State Department Inspector General's Report
- Iowa Senator Favors Embargo Until Cubans Have Free...
- From Obama's Backyard
- From Trinidad and Tobago
- How to Welcome Havana to the OAS
- Rep. Sires On Obama Cuba Changes
- Rep. Kendrick Meek opposes President Barack Obama'...
- As the U.S. moves to unilaterally ease the flow of...
- Obama Memorandum: Promoting Democracy and Human Ri...
- White House Cuba Press Briefing
- Reaction to Obama Administration Announcement
- Today's Announcement
- Wasserman Schultz to Obama: Don't enrich the Castr...
- Think Again: Engaging Cuba
- ▼ 04/12 - 04/19 (48)