From Ray Sanchez at the Sun-Sentinel:
While Washington has now authorized satellite radio and television service links with the island, many Cubans doubt the communist state will allow a greater flow of information. Authorities restrict satellite TV and Internet services, so many hookups are illegal and signals pirated.
Concealed on rooftops, balconies or just inside opened windows throughout the capital, thousands of illegal satellite antennas have become a way for Cubans to circumvent the government's tight grip on entertainment and information.
The state has justified repeated crackdowns on illegal hookups on grounds that programming by U.S.-financed TV Marti and some Miami-based commercial Spanish-language stations was "destabilizing and interventionist and ... aimed at destroying the revolution and with it the Cuban nation."
- ► 2013 (475)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
04/19 - 04/26
- On This 6th Anniversary of His Unjust Imprisonment...
- 90 Million Reasons Not To Negotiate With Fidel
- Why Do The Castro's Fear the U.S. Postal Service?
- North Korean Foreign Minister in Cuba
- White House On Cuba
- The Castro's Market
- Transcript of HRC Hearing (Edited for Cuba Portion...
- Pulse of Congress
- Global Support For Antunez
- From Impediments to Distractions
- Let My Music In!
- To Senators Dodd and Lugar
- Two Members and a Hillary Hearing
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 4
- Opinion Polls Are No Substitute For Elections
- Letter to President Obama (From Cuba's Pro-Democra...
- Fidel: "Obama Misunderstood My Little Brother"
- Bailing Out The Castro Regime?
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 3
- Cuba's Courageous Political Prisoners
- How to Prevent Another Yahoo!-China Scenario
- Grammy-Award Winning Artist Addresses Raul Castro
- The Article 78 Dilemma
- Debate on CNN's American Morning
- Boehner, Cuba and Congress
- A Tale Of Two U.S. Senators
- The Congressional Hall of Shame...
- 50 Reasons Against Lifting Sanctions Towards Cuba'...
- A Missed Opportunity By Obama
- Final Summit Press Conference
- Axelrod On Cuba Policy
- End of Embargo: "Way Down The Road"
- Weapon of Freedom: Satellite Dishes
- ▼ 04/19 - 04/26 (34)