BLACK CUBAN LEADER SENDS LETTER TO MEMBERS OF CONGRESS WHO RECENTLY MET WITH FIDEL CASTRO
Antunez's sister to personally deliver on Wednesday letter to Lee, Richardson, and Rush
Washington, DC - Berta Antunez, the sister of Jorge Luis Garcia Perez ("Antunez"), one of the most respected black leaders of the Cuban pro-democracy movement inside Cuba, will be in Washington on Wednesday, May 6th to personally deliver a letter from her brother to three Members of Congress who recently traveled to Cuba to meet with Fidel and Raul Castro.
Last month Congresswomen Barbara Lee (D-CA) and Laura Richardson (D-CA) and Congressman Bobby L. Rush (D-IL) met with Fidel Castro in Havana but refused to meet with any members of the island's pro-democracy movement. Antunez, who was incarcerated for 17 years and regularly beaten and tortured as a prisoner of conscience, was outraged that these Members of Congress would not take the time while in Cuba to meet with any of the island's human rights and pro-democracy activists.
Berta Antunez will be personally delivering the letter to the three offices on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, May 6th afternoon at 2:00 p.m. at 2444 Rayburn House Office Building, Congresswoman Lee's office, and is requesting to meet with Lee, Richardson, and Rush to convey to them her brother's message. "There are brave men and women within Cuba that need to be heard. I hope that these Members that traveled to Cuba to meet for hours with Castro, will take a few minutes to listen to the pleas of the victims of Castro's repression," stated Berta Antunez.
The letter is posted below.
- ► 2013 (558)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
05/03 - 05/10
- A Farm Bureau Revelation
- Orbitz, Champions of Cuban Apartheid
- Delahunt and Flake Just Thrilled Now
- CNN Correspondent Ignored Cuba's Dissidents
- We're Not in Kansas Anymore
- The Quest for Senator "Shameless" Continues
- Must Be a Glitch in the Polls...
- Why Does Castro Fear Radio Marti?
- Delahunt and Flake Surely Relieved
- Internet Repression Intensifies
- To Dialogue or Not To Dialogue
- Lobbying for the IMF
- Castro's Big Prize
- A Shameless Senator
- The Dignity of Antunez
- Cuba Democracy Caucus Briefing
- Berta Antunez Visits Capitol Hill
- Antunez Letter to CBC Members
- Dodd and Lugar Ignore Cuba's Imprisoned Journalist...
- U.S. Chamber of Mercantilism
- CNN Features Cuban Golf Course
- Extending the Dictatorship Abroad
- Message to CFR's Julia Sweig
- Terrorism With a "Twist"?
- Fidel, Who Are the Slaves?
- In Castro's Cuba, Some Things Never Change
- ▼ 05/03 - 05/10 (26)