According to the Committee to Protect Journalists ("CPJ"), "21 independent reporters and editors are currently jailed in Cuba, which is the second-worst jailer of journalists in the world after China."
CPJ can identify 28 journalists imprisoned in China (out of a population of 1.4 billion people). Meanwhile, they identify 21 journalists imprisoned in Cuba (out of a population of 11.5 million people).
Statistically, this makes Cuba 91.5 times more repressive than China as regards the activities of independent journalists.
In the interest of full disclosure, here's the math:
Capitol Hill Cubans would like to thank its good friend at NYU for this calculation.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
05/17 - 05/24
- The Cuban People's View On Migration
- What If Iran Was The World's Only Nuclear Nation?
- Menendez On Migration
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 6
- Migration Policy Background*
- Migration Talks On Deck
- Save What?
- Let The Cyber-Revolution Begin
- Senator Baucus' Trivialized "Facts"
- Petition For Aung San Suu Kyi's Release
- Antunez: A 21st Century Nelson Mandela
- Senator Lugar's Nuanced Stance On The OAS
- Attention Senator Baucus, Protect U.S. Farmers
- Another Serrano Tantrum
- NJ State Assembly: No Normalization With Cuba
- Congressional Dear Colleague
- In The Senate Record
- The 107th Anniversary of the Republic of Cuba
- The Impact Of Tourism In Cuba
- U.S. Cop Killer Remains In Cuba
- Watch Yesterday's Cuba Solidarity Event
- Cuba Continues To Aid Terrorists
- Attention (Again) Senator Shameless
- True Independence For Cuba
- Congressman Meek Offers Antunez Support
- Clinton: No OAS For Castro
- In the Congressional Record
- Congressman Tiahrt On CAMBIO
- Kendrick on Cuban Independence
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 5
- Global Cuba Solidarity Movement
- Even Jim Cramer Is Bearish On Havana
- Cuba's Opposition Rejects OAS Efforts
- Cuba Event Tomorrow
- Cuban Church Leader Faces Trial
- Attention Chamber and Farm Bureau!
- Death Toll In Cuba's Prisons
- An Endearing Description
- 50 Years Of A Failed Policy
- The Spirit of Jose Marti
- Cuba Is 91.5 Times More Repressive Than China
- Will The Lights Stay On At the OAS?
- Cuba's Online Superstar
- Reformers From Within?
- The Bipolar Mr. Castro
- Memo to Cargill: Just Wait And See What Castro Has...
- The Day The West Betrayed Democracy
- ▼ 05/17 - 05/24 (47)