The State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs encapsulates concerns about tourism travel to Cuba:
Cuba is a totalitarian police state which relies on repressive methods to maintain control. These methods, including intense physical and electronic surveillance of Cubans, are also extended to foreign travelers. Americans visiting Cuba should be aware that any encounter with a Cuban could be subject to surreptitious scrutiny by the Castro regime's secret police, the General Directorate for State Security (DGSE). Also, any interactions with average Cubans, regardless of how well intentioned the American may be, can subject that Cuban to harassment and/or detention, and other forms of repressive actions, by state security elements. The regime is strongly anti-American, yet desperate for U.S. dollars to prop itself up.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
05/10 - 05/17
- Cuba Debated in New Mexico
- The Common DNA of Tyrannies, Pt. 2
- The Common DNA of Tyrannies
- The Senate's Nameless Cuban Journalists
- Solidarity with Cuban Writers and Journalists
- Unfortunately, This Is Not a Joke
- DepSec Steinberg's Own Words
- Apartheid's Merchants
- ATTENTION Senator Shameless
- Antunez Prepares For Stage Two of Protest
- The Most Selfish Member of Congress
- History Lesson for Insulza
- Senator Menendez Asks Tough Questions of OAS
- Secretary Clinton On Democracy In The Americas
- A Compelling Look at Cuba's Reality
- Radio Bolivar or Miranda?
- Frustration in Arkansas
- Berta Antunez on CNN (In Spanish)
- And At The Capitol Visitors Center...
- Today On The Hill
- Look Both Ways Before Crossing
- Memo to Castro: Freedom of the Press is Good
- Does This Sound Like a Vacation Destination?
- The Cuban Regime's Credibility Quandary
- Insulza, Castro's Regional Lobbyist
- How the End of East Germany Began
- Mother's Day Recognition
- 10 Years After Governor Ryan's Visit to Castro
- Meet the U.S. Chamber's Prospective Business Partn...
- ▼ 05/10 - 05/17 (29)