On this Mother's Day, let's take a moment to remember the approximately 300 Cuban political prisoners recognized by Amnesty International and the thousands of others being held in Castro's prisons for being considered a threat to the regime or for attempting to escape the island.
They all have one thing in common: They have mothers that share in their pain and sacrifice.
The greatest symbol of these mothers are the Ladies in White, an opposition movement in Cuba consisting of spouses and other relatives of jailed dissidents. The women protest the imprisonments by attending Mass each Sunday and then silently walking through the streets dressed in white clothing. The color white is chosen to symbolize peace.
The movement received the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought from the European Parliament in 2005. Please watch the clip next to this post.
Happy Mother's Day.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
05/10 - 05/17
- Cuba Debated in New Mexico
- The Common DNA of Tyrannies, Pt. 2
- The Common DNA of Tyrannies
- The Senate's Nameless Cuban Journalists
- Solidarity with Cuban Writers and Journalists
- Unfortunately, This Is Not a Joke
- DepSec Steinberg's Own Words
- Apartheid's Merchants
- ATTENTION Senator Shameless
- Antunez Prepares For Stage Two of Protest
- The Most Selfish Member of Congress
- History Lesson for Insulza
- Senator Menendez Asks Tough Questions of OAS
- Secretary Clinton On Democracy In The Americas
- A Compelling Look at Cuba's Reality
- Radio Bolivar or Miranda?
- Frustration in Arkansas
- Berta Antunez on CNN (In Spanish)
- And At The Capitol Visitors Center...
- Today On The Hill
- Look Both Ways Before Crossing
- Memo to Castro: Freedom of the Press is Good
- Does This Sound Like a Vacation Destination?
- The Cuban Regime's Credibility Quandary
- Insulza, Castro's Regional Lobbyist
- How the End of East Germany Began
- Mother's Day Recognition
- 10 Years After Governor Ryan's Visit to Castro
- Meet the U.S. Chamber's Prospective Business Partn...
- ▼ 05/10 - 05/17 (29)