Martinez Calls for Independence of Cuba on Nation's Anniversary
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Mel Martinez (R-FL) today spoke on the Senate Floor in recognition of the 107th anniversary of Cuba's independence from Spain. Martinez underscored the current continuing repression of basic human rights of the Cuban people and the ongoing struggle by peaceful activists to gain the country's freedom from a repressive a dictatorial regime.
"For Americans, Independence Day is the day we celebrate our freedom and the ideals on which our nation was founded. For Cubans, who won their formal independence 107 years ago today, Independence Day serves as a reminder that there are those still struggling to exercise their fundamental rights, having spent the past 50 years under the repressive rule of a one-family regime.
"While I appreciate the President's willingness to address some of the challenges facing the Cuban people, I also ask that he consider implementing policies that will empower the Cuban people, not embolden the regime. Wholesale change in Cuba won't come from Washington. Change for Havana can only come from Havana."
May 20th, 1902 the Republic of Cuba was born when the country gained independence from Spain.
- ► 2015 (353)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
05/17 - 05/24
- The Cuban People's View On Migration
- What If Iran Was The World's Only Nuclear Nation?
- Menendez On Migration
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 6
- Migration Policy Background*
- Migration Talks On Deck
- Save What?
- Let The Cyber-Revolution Begin
- Senator Baucus' Trivialized "Facts"
- Petition For Aung San Suu Kyi's Release
- Antunez: A 21st Century Nelson Mandela
- Senator Lugar's Nuanced Stance On The OAS
- Attention Senator Baucus, Protect U.S. Farmers
- Another Serrano Tantrum
- NJ State Assembly: No Normalization With Cuba
- Congressional Dear Colleague
- In The Senate Record
- The 107th Anniversary of the Republic of Cuba
- The Impact Of Tourism In Cuba
- U.S. Cop Killer Remains In Cuba
- Watch Yesterday's Cuba Solidarity Event
- Cuba Continues To Aid Terrorists
- Attention (Again) Senator Shameless
- True Independence For Cuba
- Congressman Meek Offers Antunez Support
- Clinton: No OAS For Castro
- In the Congressional Record
- Congressman Tiahrt On CAMBIO
- Kendrick on Cuban Independence
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 5
- Global Cuba Solidarity Movement
- Even Jim Cramer Is Bearish On Havana
- Cuba's Opposition Rejects OAS Efforts
- Cuba Event Tomorrow
- Cuban Church Leader Faces Trial
- Attention Chamber and Farm Bureau!
- Death Toll In Cuba's Prisons
- An Endearing Description
- 50 Years Of A Failed Policy
- The Spirit of Jose Marti
- Cuba Is 91.5 Times More Repressive Than China
- Will The Lights Stay On At the OAS?
- Cuba's Online Superstar
- Reformers From Within?
- The Bipolar Mr. Castro
- Memo to Cargill: Just Wait And See What Castro Has...
- The Day The West Betrayed Democracy
- ▼ 05/17 - 05/24 (47)