"Today, on the eve of my 48th birthday, I write these lines from prison cell #1232. If this testimony from the box where I have been unjustly forced to live for almost 10 years now is of some interest to mankind, then publish it.
When I began advocating the philosophies of Gandhi and Thoreau, I remember those who commented that I would soon begin walking through the streets of Havana in a loincloth like Gandhi. Upon hearing these insults, I'd simply smile, as surely I would soon be subjected to this condition -- not in the streets of Havana, but in the indefinite confinement that I would face for such advocacy. Those that resorted to such insults, seeking to humiliate me, would not be mistaken after all, but it is through the humiliation of a man in loincloth that human dignity is reflected over barbarism.
When you ask me how I am doing, and I tell you that I am resisting, it is because the environment I find myself in is too brutal for any civilized man imprisoned for promoting ideas of love, the respect for human rights and the defense of life. Yet, I thank God as I awake every day, for in this dark and lonely cell, I know He is with me."
- Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet, Cuban pro-democracy leader and Amnesty International prisoner of conscience serving a 25-year sentence, in a letter to his wife and the world.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
07/19 - 07/26
- Party is Over (And Karma Came Knocking)
- Quote of the Week
- Obama: Ball (Correctly) in Castro's Court
- "Free Biscet" Today in Georgetown
- Hypocrisy's Universal Appeal
- Tampa Taxpayers Flip Bill for Cuba Trip
- Student Event in D.C. for Dr. Biscet
- Does Blackmail Promote Investor Confidence?
- The Constitution, Courts, Congress (and Cuba)
- U.S. Rep. Sanchez on Vietnam (vs. Cuba)
- Kafkaesque Arrest of Dr. Darsi Ferrer
- Sanctions Opponents Lobby (for Sanctions?)
- Castro's "Black Hole" Ate the Imports Too
- Who is Separating Cuban Families?
- Castro's "Black Hole" Ate the Money
- The European Union's Shameless Hypocrisy
- Venezuelan Drug Trafficking Threatens U.S.
- Will the OAS Strike Out With Nicaragua?
- Dr. Biscet's Birthday: In His Own Words
- Where's Mariela When You Need Her?
- Is Cuba a Personalized Dictatorship?
- ▼ 07/19 - 07/26 (21)