Retired Lieutenant General Russel Honore, former commander of the Joint Task Force Katrina, was in Cuba this week with Wayne Smith of the Center for International Policy, to study disaster co-operation between both nations.
In a Financial Times report, General Honore, who advocates for unconditionally normalizing relations, said "everyone should stop looking in the rear view mirror. A failed state so near to home is not in our interest."
General Honore went on to say, "peace and prosperity are in the interest of both countries as we are neighbors and there are now many Cubans in the United States,"
Newsflash to General Honore, Cuba is a failed state. It is a bankrupt totalitarian regime that rules through force, fear and submission, not through democratic institutions and the rule of law.
It is disservice for any U.S. military officer -- even if retired -- to express support for a military dictatorship in that manner, as it's reminiscent of the dark days of U.S. collusion with military regimes throughout Latin America in the 60s, 70s and 80s. They too were failed states.
Furthermore, General, the reason why so many Cubans are now in the United States is because a repressive dictatorship has systemically violated the human, civil and political rights of the Cuban people. It is also the reason why an estimated 500,000 Cubans have perished in the waters of the Florida Straits in search for freedom.
Yet another symptom of a failed state.
- ► 2013 (554)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
07/26 - 08/02
- Iranians Tried, Venezuelans Silenced
- Shhhh! Only Chavez Can Talk
- Raul Castro Looking to Arrest Himself
- Governor Beebe Tries to Save Face
- Dr. Darsi Ferrer on Cuban Apartheid
- Most Predictable Award Ever Given
- The "Island of Freedom"?
- China in the OAS?
- Ladies of Extraordinary Courage
- Europe's Last Ruling Communists Defeated
- Dear Chamber, Human Freedom is Priceless
- Castro's Bourgeois Mattresses
- Quote of the Week
- Dr. Darsi Ferrer on Hunger Strike
- General Honore's (Mis)Concept of a Failed State
- Another Boondoggle in Havana
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 12
- Congratulations Yoani!
- Governor Beebe's Trip: A Fool's Errand
- Useful Idiots v. Dog-and-Pony Show
- State Department Press Briefing
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 11
- The Reign of Raul "the Reformer"
- Dr. Darsi Ferrer Remains Imprisoned
- Anyone Think Insulza is Doing a Good Job?
- ▼ 07/26 - 08/02 (25)