Juanes' "Peace Without Borders" concert in Havana's Revolutionary Square is officially over.
Now it's time to refocus (or heighten focus) on the most important (and truly deserving) issue:
The freedom of the Cuban people.
Hopefully, Juanes will have helped in this regard. Undoubtedly, his interpretation -- along with Miguel Bose -- of "Nada Particular" and its message of freedom was inspiring:
"Give me an island in the middle of the sea -- call it liberty."
It might even be historic, but only time will tell.
This morning though, the Cuban people woke up to the same repressive reality of the Castro regime.
Meanwhile, the foreign artists that performed in the concert are preparing to fly off to the free countries in which they reside, and the Castro regime's artists are resting in the comfort of their Miramar mini-palaces.
Thank God for all of those brave Cubans that have the courage -- without mixed messages or allusions -- to directly call for human rights, democracy and freedom on a daily basis:
Rockers like Escape and Porno Para Ricardo; rappers like Eskuadron and Los Aldeanos; bloggers like Claudia Cadelo and Yoani Sanchez, political prisoners like Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet and Darsi Ferrer; and pro-democracy activists like Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez" and Juan Carlos Gonzalez Leiva.
Those are (and have been) our inspiration -- the true agents of change in Cuba.
So, with or without Juanes, can we now focus on them?
- ► 2015 (874)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
09/20 - 09/27
- Congressional Report on Honduran Situation
- The Permanent Coup d' Etat
- Absurdity of the Week
- The Food and Freedom Campaign
- Chavez Taunts Obama
- Tyrants Are Liars, Exiles Aren't Crazy
- Who Benefited From Juanes Concert?
- Gorki's Record Signing Party Tonight!
- Juanes Experiences Castro's 1984
- State Department Denies Alarcon Visa
- What Castro Wants is Tourism
- Cuban-American Voting Trends
- Congressional Support for Easing Sanctions?
- Is This Who We Want to Normalize Relations With?
- Crossing Paths in Havana Airport
- Unilateral Concessions Don't Work
- The Morning After (With or Without Juanes)
- Congressional Cuba Forum Today
- The Reality Behind the Facade
- Gorki Unites All Cubans
- A Tale of Two Musicians
- ▼ 09/20 - 09/27 (21)