On this commemorative day, we would like to honor the women of Cuba's pro-democracy movement, who inspire us with their courage and leadership in the face of great adversity and repression.
Women like Gloria Amaya, who died earlier in the year at the age of 81, but fought for freedom until her very last breath. Three of her sons have endured long terms as political prisoners, two of which remain incarcerated in poor health.
And Reina Luisa Tamayo, mother of Orlando Zapata Tamayo, who died last month after an 86-day hunger strike. Reina defiantly challenged the regime throughout her son's incarceration and tragic death.
We honor Reina's plea:
"I want to tell the world about my pain. I think my son's death was a premeditated murder. My son was tortured throughout his incarceration. His plight has brought me great pain and has been excruciating for the entire family. Even, as he was transferred to this prison, he was first held in Camaguey without drinking water for 18 days. My son dies after an 86-day hunger strike. In the midst of deep pain, I call on the world to demand the freedom of the other prisoners and brothers unfairly sentenced so that what happened to my boy, my second child, who leaves behind no physical legacy, no child or wife, does not happen again."
Their struggle and sacrifice will never be forgotten.
- ► 2016 (381)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
03/07 - 03/14
- The Sanctions "Scapegoat"
- Solidarność With Farinas
- Jerry Moran's Exceptionalist Arrogance
- Internet Enemies
- "Hearing" Themselves Talk
- Alimport's Blackmail
- State Releases New Human Rights Report
- European Parliament Condemns Castro Regime
- U.S. Senate Honors Orlando Zapata Tamayo
- Speaking Truth to the Chamber
- Reject "Business as Usual"
- Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité
- Learning From Farm Lobby Mistakes
- Where Are They Now?
- Campaign for Alan Gross's Release
- Quote of a Lifetime
- Setting the Internet Record Straight
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place
- International Women's Day
- Castro's 100 Basque Terrorists
- Free Online Services Licensed
- The Imminent Collapse of Cuba's Regime?
- Why We Shouldn't Adopt Canada's Policy
- 30 Global NGOs Appeal for Youth Activist
- A Beacon of Middle East Democracy?
- ▼ 03/07 - 03/14 (25)
- ► 2009 (933)