On March 23rd, senior Cuban military officers were convened in Havana to devise a strategy to crush a surge in acts of civil disobedience and internal dissent.
Univision Radio's Angelica Mora reports that a meeting of this type had not occurred since 2006, when Raul Castro informed the military command of Fidel's serious illness.
Pursuant to this latest meeting, General Lucio Morales Sabat placed the Western Army (the Cuban military is divided into three armies, the East, Central and West) on high alert.
Further orders were given to close ranks and facilitate more efficient weaponry to military guards at government installations, particularly the Central Committee of the Communist Party and the Council of State, in order to quickly confront "subversive acts."
And that, ladies and gentlemen, are Canadian and European tourism dollars at work.
- ► 2013 (471)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
04/04 - 04/11
- Cubans Reject Castro's Concert
- Solidarność With Poland
- A Treasure of Emotions (and Quotes)
- "Zapata Lives" in Barcelona
- Recipe for Geopolitical Disaster
- Referendum for Freedom
- Reason vs. Barbarism
- The Most Personal of Rights
- A Manual for Repression
- Cuba Is Not Cancun
- Senator Menendez Speaks With Farinas
- How Many More Must Die?
- The Travel Debate's True Color
- Quote of the Week
- Castro Exports Repression
- Riddle Me This
- Total Generational Disconnect
- The Purest of Protests
- Seven Years Later
- A Paragon of Modern Slavery
- Military Placed on High Alert
- Third Hunger Striker Hospitalized
- Fariñas' Cuban -E-volution
- Tagged in Bern
- ▼ 04/04 - 04/11 (24)
- ► 2009 (933)