According to Reuters:
Cuban dissidents propose vote on freeing prisoners
HAVANA - Cuban dissidents proposed on Thursday that the public vote on whether the island's political prisoners should be freed, while Cuba said its enemies are using human rights to "demonize" it.
The dissidents acknowledge their idea is unlikely to be accepted, but said they suggested it to end an impasse between the government and dissident hunger striker Guillermo Farinas, who is seeking the release of 26 ailing political prisoners.
"Why not leave the solution of this matter in the hands of the people?" Francisco Chaviano said in a press conference held by dissident group Agenda for the Cuban Transition.
EDITOR'S NOTE to Reuters: In the first paragraph, you refer to the Castro regime as "Cuba." Please note, it is the Castro regime -- and only the Castro regime -- that is making hysteric claims and preventing "Cuba" from exercising its free will. The repressed voice of "Cuba" has yet to be heard.
- ► 2013 (475)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
04/04 - 04/11
- Cubans Reject Castro's Concert
- Solidarność With Poland
- A Treasure of Emotions (and Quotes)
- "Zapata Lives" in Barcelona
- Recipe for Geopolitical Disaster
- Referendum for Freedom
- Reason vs. Barbarism
- The Most Personal of Rights
- A Manual for Repression
- Cuba Is Not Cancun
- Senator Menendez Speaks With Farinas
- How Many More Must Die?
- The Travel Debate's True Color
- Quote of the Week
- Castro Exports Repression
- Riddle Me This
- Total Generational Disconnect
- The Purest of Protests
- Seven Years Later
- A Paragon of Modern Slavery
- Military Placed on High Alert
- Third Hunger Striker Hospitalized
- Fariñas' Cuban -E-volution
- Tagged in Bern
- ▼ 04/04 - 04/11 (24)
- ► 2009 (933)