From Cuba to Liverpool
If you read into the most-played songs on Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart's iPod, you might surmise that this is a man who is always running for office ("I'm a Fool to Want You," "Shelter from the Storm," and 'Twist and Shout" are among his favorites). But what comes through even more in his mix is a love of strong vocals and an eclectic taste for the classics.
Below, Diaz-Balart shares his Top 10 tunes, with commentary, in no particular order:
A Day in the Life (The Beatles): "A masterpiece of a song from a masterpiece album."
Por Si Acaso No Regreso (Celia Cruz): "There will only be one Celia Cruz"
Amazing Grace (The Blind Boys of Alabama): "A Gospel rendition of 'Amazing Grace' to 'House of the Rising Sun' music."
Beside You (Van Morrison): "Comes from the 'Astral Weeks' album, which I believe is one of the best albums of all times."
Twist and Shout (The Beatles): "My four and a half year old son Cristian's favorite song to dance to."
El Cake (Gorki Aguila): "I love his music and admire his courage and love of freedom."
Tabaco y Chanel (Bacilos): "A song that brings back good memories to my wife Tia and me."
Que Bueno Baila Usted (Benny Moré): "A classic. Exemplifies Cuban music."
Shelter from the Storm (Bob Dylan): "I'm a huge Bob Dylan fan. This is just one of the many songs I listen to all the time."
I'm a Fool to Want You (Billie Holiday): "You can always feel her emotions through her music."
- ► 2013 (451)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
05/23 - 05/30
- At Risk of Permanent Disability
- Point of the Week
- Criticism of "Pedro Pan" Documentary
- Obama's National Security Strategy
- Lobbying for Repression Profits
- More Activism (and Repression)
- Time for CAMBIO
- This is Not a Game of Risk
- No Due Process for Jailed American
- Release Them All
- Politico Playlist
- From Paris With Love
- Is Venezuela a State-Sponsor of Terror?
- Congressional Dear Colleague
- "Political" Art to Cheer
- The FARC's Geopolitical Base
- Chairman Castro's Dog
- Charlie Crist on Cuba Policy
- Getting Advice From BP
- A Victory for Zapata, Fariñas & the Ladies
- A Hint of Leadership?
- The State-Church Monologue
- Fariñas: Ball is on Castro's Court
- ▼ 05/23 - 05/30 (23)
- ► 2009 (933)