Today, nearly 500 pro-democracy leaders from within Cuba have sent a letter to the House Agriculture Committee in OPPOSITION to Chairman Collin Peterson's legislation, H.R. 4645, which seeks to ease tourism-travel and trade sanctions towards the Castro regime.
"Congressmen/Congresswomen, the cause of liberty, and firm opposition to the oppressive totalitarian dictatorship in Havana, is so sacred that it is above all economic and mercantilist interests," the letter states.
They proceed to stress, "the below signatories believe that the freedom of Cuba will not arrive by means of the pocket-book nor the lips of libidinous tourists, who are aseptic to the pain of the Cuban family... For that reason we suggest that you maintain a firm and coherent policy of pressure and condemnation against the tyranny in Havana."
Please note that these leaders are risking long prison terms for simply drafting and signing this document, as the Castro regime's draconian laws stringently punish any expression of support for U.S. policy.
Amongst the signatories are:
Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez," a young Afro-Cuban pro-democracy leader, who spent nearly half his life (17 years) as a political prisoner.
Reina Luis Tamayo, member of the Ladies in White and mother of Cuban political prisoner Orlando Zapata Tamayo, who died in February pursuant to an 85-day hunger strike.
Ariel Sigler Amaya, Cuban political prisoner who was released this past weekend. Ariel was imprisoned in 2003 for heading the Independent Alternative Option Movement. At the time of his imprisonment, he was a 250-pound former amateur boxer. He was released a 106-pound paraplegic.
Nestor Rodriguez Lobaina, former political prisoner and head of the Cuban Youth for Democracy Movement.
Let's hope Congress listens.
Click here to read letter and here to view signatures.
- ► 2016 (100)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
06/13 - 06/20
- State Department on 3rd Migration Talks
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 22
- Dissidents Decry Bill to End Travel Ban
- 494 Dissidents Send Letter Against H.R. 4645
- Hillary Visits With Alan Gross's Family
- Congressional Dear Colleague
- Press Freedom in the Americas
- Amen, Governor Perdue
- Momentum to Pressure the Regime
- Political Prisoners Demand Peterson Apology
- Wasserman Schultz on Castro's Anti-Semitism
- A Bitter Taste of the Peterson Bill
- And Now, The Real News
- Travel, Tourism and Trafficking
- Political Prisoner Released a Paraplegic
- The Last Apartheid Regime
- Don't Believe the Hype
- ▼ 06/13 - 06/20 (17)
- ► 2009 (933)