In an interview with Catholic News Service, the Archbishop of Havana, Cardinal Jaime Ortega, who is on a 3-day visit to Washington, D.C., revealed the misguided -- and unfortunate -- motive and goal of his "sudden intervention" with the Castro regime:
The stability and improved foreign relations of the Cuban dictatorship.
In other words, to end the courageous opposition movement's activism and simultaneously help the regime cleanse it's repressive image abroad.
As regards his motive of stability:
Cardinal Ortega explained that he asked to meet with Castro amid a crackdown this spring on weekly silent marches by wives and mothers of political prisoners, known as the Ladies in White, who want freedom for their relatives. The usually quiet marches that begin after Sunday Mass were met by counter-protesters -- allegedly brought in by the government -- who shouted and blocked the women, harassing the group for hours.
"It was beginning to look like the time of Mariel," said Cardinal Ortega. "It was causing instability."
As regards his goal of improved foreign relations:
While the government's release of prisoners certainly is popular in Cuba, where dissatisfaction with the economy and other issues has been growing, Cardinal Ortega told Catholic News Service Aug. 2 that the main benefit to the Castro government has been improved foreign relations. Cuba's treatment of political opponents has long been a key element in the nearly 50-year U.S. economic embargo of the nation.
"In the internal life of Cuba, this is not very important," Cardinal Ortega said. "But for foreign relations, it's very important."
Apparently, human rights, freedom and democracy are too much for the Cardinal to handle.
The Cuban people deserve better.
- ► 2013 (470)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
08/01 - 08/08
- Welcome to Florida Politics
- Menendez on Obama's Possible Easing of Cuba Travel...
- Message to Tyrants: Grab a Hostage, Get a Concessi...
- Cuba Remains a State-Sponsor of Terrorism
- Dissidents Arrested and Beaten
- More Absurdities to Come
- NSC Statement on Cardinal Ortega
- Jeff Greene Owes an Apology
- The Cardinal's Misguided Motive & Goal
- May Justice Prevail for Rep. Maxine Waters
- Kudos to Reuters
- Castro's Self-Employment Charade
- Dissidents Are Often Our Conscience
- Dispelling a Revolutionary Myth
- The Regime's Cynical Ploy
- Buying The Barbed Wire & Manacles
- The Face (and Body) of Torture
- Irresponsible Behavior (and Omission)
- ▼ 08/01 - 08/08 (18)
- ► 2009 (933)