The dust has barely settled on the Castro regime's new self-employment charade, but those seeking to profit from Cuba's captive population -- no matter how unscrupulously -- are already forming a queue.
First, the L.A. Times runs an insensitive editorial entitled, "Capitalizing on Cuba," which bluntly demands:
"The U.S. embargo should be lifted, so American businesses can go to Cuba and get busy"
No mention whatsoever of any human, civil and political rights for the Cuban people (or genuine economic rights for that matter).
Then, Time Magazine chimes in:
"The Washington-based Cuba Study Group, a nonprofit headed by Cuban-American business leaders, has already proposed, along with Mexico's Banco Compartamos, a $10 million microloan program for Cuban entrepreneurs."
Doesn't that sound nice?
Of course, Time forgot to disclose that Banco Compartamos is a for-profit bank fueled by annual interest rates that exceed 100%.
Those are called predatory loans.
Needless to say, predatory loans are not the way to bring freedom to the Cuban people. To the contrary, they're the quickest way to create anger and disgust towards the U.S.
Predatory loans are rightfully frowned upon within the U.S. -- where people actually have rights and can freely express grievances -- so why try to impose them upon a repressed and victimized population abroad?
That's shameless and abusive.
- ► 2013 (560)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
09/12 - 09/19
- Only Castro-Supporters Need Apply
- 'No Cigar' to Cuba Measure?
- Trouble in Ithaca
- Passing Nuclear Secrets to Chavez
- First Time (Since 1995, That Is)
- Concessions Would Only Embolden Castro
- True Reforms Require Rights
- Barbarians at the Gate
- Don't Change Tack on Cuba
- Foreign Relations Chairman Menendez?
- Economic Reform vs. Temporary Survival
- Cuba's State-Directed Self-Employment
- One Million New Cuban Barbers?
- Banished Prisoners: Don't Relax EU Policy
- Congressman Uses Fidel for Fundraiser
- Quote of the Month
- L'Audace de Fidel
- The Cyclone of Guantanamo
- The Liars Tribe
- ▼ 09/12 - 09/19 (19)
- ► 2009 (933)