Last week, senior officials from Spain's ruling Socialist Party (PSOE) -- once again -- visited with the Castro regime.
As has become the PSOE's common practice, pro-democracy and human rights activists were marginalized from all meetings.
In response, a group of Cuban political prisoners recently banished to Spain issued a poignant declaration.
Here's an excerpt:
We, political prisoners who have been banished to Spain, were imprisoned for defending peaceful dialogue amongst all Cubans as a civilized way to achieve the political, economic and social rights that Cuba's totalitarian system has denied its people for over 50 years.
Only the Spanish Socialist Party (PSOE) and the Spanish government seem to see changes in the state of lawlessness that the Cuban people are subjected to. To confuse the banishment of political prisoners that has taken place to date with a process of democratic opening is an insult to the legitimate right of all Cubans who seek to build a free and reconciled society [...]
Unfortunately, some political sectors in Spain and its government want to endorse "changes" based on their wayward bet, without rights for the Cuban people, recognizing the island's repressive forces as the sole interlocutor.
They are converting the current military junta into the economic mafia of the future.
- ► 2013 (470)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
09/05 - 09/12
- A Distasteful Engagement
- Rosh Hashanah in Cuban Prison
- In Remembrance
- A Communist Manifesto for Julia
- The Not So Cute Killer
- From The State Department
- Repression is Not Retro Chic
- Not in Karachi Anymore
- Kudos and Caution
- Castro Should Be Tried
- Fidel's Brutal Cynicism
- Mr. Tight Jeans in Havana
- Banished Prisoner Urges Tougher Sanctions
- Please Sign Petition to Cardinal Ortega
- Add Sailors and Golfers to Castro's Wish List
- A Gripping Award-Winning Documentary
- Message From Banished Political Prisoners
- Happy Labor Day
- The Cuban Opposition is Winning
- Our Heartfelt Condolences
- Congratulations Yoani
- ▼ 09/05 - 09/12 (21)
- ► 2009 (933)