According to Reuters:
The Cuban Communist Party has moved forward the election of new leadership to a congress in April where longtime party leader Fidel Castro is expected to step down, sources close to the party said over the weekend.
In other words, Fidel is expected to relinquish his title of First Secretary of the Cuban Communist Party.
Thus, expect a whole new round of media hoopla -- similar to 2008, when Fidel announced he was "stepping down" as "President" of Cuba (more specifically, of the Council of State and Ministers).
So what does that make Fidel?
It makes him eerily similar to Qadhafi, who today explained that he "cannot step down because he holds no official position like president or king."
That is -- a title-less dictator.
- ► 2016 (92)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
02/27 - 03/06
- Castro Finds Alan Gross Guilty
- "I Will Continue to Fight for Democracy"
- Picture of the Week
- Development as Freedom
- Alan Gross's "Subversive" Activities
- Yoani Honored by State Department
- How Qaddafi (Castro) Hoodwinked Italy (Spain)
- Quote of the Week
- Clinton on U.S. Hostages in Iran & Cuba
- More Than 390 Political Arrests in February
- For the Cuba Skeptics
- CAMBIO Hip-Hop Video
- The Strength of Hector Maseda
- The Street Does Not Belong to Fidel
- On Jesse Jackson
- We Finally Agree
- Is Castro Defrauding Medicare?
- An Extraordinary Column
- Young Hunger Striker's Life in Peril
- Case & Point: "Reform" You Can't Believe In
- Too Little, Too Late
- The Truth About Castro's Fiber-Optic Cable
- Is Castro Gaddafi's Pimp (Literally)?
- Valenzuela's Defense of "Trickle-Down"
- Obama's Travel Policy is Bailing Out Castro
- The Title-less Dictator(s)
- The Cuban Pressure Cooker
- Trying to "Charm" Obama
- Reform is NOT an Option
- Setting the Standard for a Ruler's Legitimacy
- Repression Against Dissidents Intensifies
- The Tyranny of Groupthink
- Quote of the Week
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 25
- Time to Declare Cyberwar
- ▼ 02/27 - 03/06 (35)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)