The following paragraph in today's Los Angeles Times summarizes current events in Syria:
Foreign conspiracies, media distortions and the hand of Israel are to blame for uprisings in Syria, President Bashar Assad insists in a speech to the nation. He does not offer to repeal the emergency law that has kept his regime in power since 1963 but says reforms are necessary while offering no specifics.
Here's the Cuban version:
Foreign conspiracies, media distortions and the hand of [the United States] are to blame for [widespread discontent] in [Cuba], President [Raul Castro] insists in a speech to the nation. He does not offer to repeal the emergency law that has kept his regime in power since  but says reforms are necessary while offering no specifics.
And of course, Assad couldn't forget the compulsory line for embattled modern dictators:
"If we stay without reform we are on the course of destruction."
It's almost a direct quote from Raul Castro's December 18th, 2010 speech.
Finally, there's the most repugnant line: "It is my responsibility to secure the stability of the nation."
These tyrants have the audacity to equate their absolute power with "the nation."
Modern rhetoric for an ancient tactic -- deception.
- ► 2014 (782)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
03/27 - 04/03
- Cubans Deserve Freedom Too
- Bye Bye Zapatero
- Kerry is Not Congress (Castro is Not Cuba)
- Quote of the Week
- Careful What You Lobby For
- What Carter Should Have Said in Cuba
- Rubio Calls for Recognition of Libyan Rebels
- Raul's Smirk Says It All
- Statement from U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC
- New York Congressman Denounces Carter
- Tyrant's Modern Rhetoric (Ancient Tactic)
- An Important Recognition on Sanctions
- Senator Menendez's Letter to President Carter
- Carter Not in Cuba to Free Gross
- There is NO Private Sector in Cuba
- Religious Leaders Blatantly Lied to Carter
- Will Carter Meet With the Ladies in White?
- More Info on Crackdown During Carter Visit
- Crackdown Begins as Carter Arrives in Cuba
- CNN Debate on Alan Gross
- The Ladies March On
- Welcome to Tourist (Dictator's) Paradise
- ▼ 03/27 - 04/03 (22)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)