Or will he only meet with those approved by the Castro regime?
To his credit, during President Carter's previous visit in 2002, he did meet with some pro-democracy leaders.
However, it doesn't seem to be on the agenda this trip.
Cuba's Ladies in White willing to meet with Carter
Cuba's Ladies in White said they will continue their activities in defense of human rights following the release of all "Group of 75" dissidents, and are willing to meet with former U.S. President Jimmy Carter during his visit to the island this week.
Laura Pollan, one of the spokeswomen of the organization that seeks freedom for the nation's political prisoners, said they will continue the struggle for the release of dissidents, for a change in the laws that allow Cubans to be jailed "for speaking freely, and to secure respect for human rights."
"The existence of the Ladies in White has not ended as many think, the Ladies in White will be around for a while," Pollan said, referring to the release last week of all Group of 75 prisoners still in jail.
Pollan described Sunday as "special" because after eight years, not one of the 75 dissidents sentenced in the wave of repression of the "Black Spring" of 2003 remains behind bars.
"Though the Group of 75 dissidents are now free or out on parole, our marches and activities will continue as always," Pollan said upon returning from the march the group carries out every Sunday after attending Mass at a Havana church.
"We are open to any invitation he might make us, though we don't know what is on his agenda and we do know that he comes at the invitation of (Cuban President) Raul Castro," Pollan said.
- ► 2016 (651)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
03/27 - 04/03
- Cubans Deserve Freedom Too
- Bye Bye Zapatero
- Kerry is Not Congress (Castro is Not Cuba)
- Quote of the Week
- Careful What You Lobby For
- What Carter Should Have Said in Cuba
- Rubio Calls for Recognition of Libyan Rebels
- Raul's Smirk Says It All
- Statement from U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC
- New York Congressman Denounces Carter
- Tyrant's Modern Rhetoric (Ancient Tactic)
- An Important Recognition on Sanctions
- Senator Menendez's Letter to President Carter
- Carter Not in Cuba to Free Gross
- There is NO Private Sector in Cuba
- Religious Leaders Blatantly Lied to Carter
- Will Carter Meet With the Ladies in White?
- More Info on Crackdown During Carter Visit
- Crackdown Begins as Carter Arrives in Cuba
- CNN Debate on Alan Gross
- The Ladies March On
- Welcome to Tourist (Dictator's) Paradise
- ▼ 03/27 - 04/03 (22)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)