The Miami Herald has a great interview with Cuban pro-democracy leader and recently-released political prisoner, Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet.
Here are some excerpts.
Regarding the possibility of negotiations with the Castro regime:
"If the regime were willing to have talks, we have demands. We want Raul and Fidel Castro to resign because they have drowned the country in misery, its political assassinations and persecution. Let them assign other people to represent their interests and let us begin a transtition towards freedoms for the Cuban people."
On Cuba's youth:
"The Cuban youth does not believe in the system, and the spirit they are developing is not afraid of the government's pressure. The fear the Castros wish to impose is not going to stop the wishes of the youth of pursuing the general welfare, including the economic and psychological perspectives. The youths will create their own space to accomplish their objectives."
Regarding Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry's (D-MA) hold on funding for USAID's Cuba democracy programs:
"Kerry must know that resources are needed for this type of fight and he knows very well that Cubans on the island do not have those resources. If we are able to resist it's because of our high morale not because we have resources. Here were have to depend on people's mercy to survive."
- ► 2014 (352)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
04/10 - 04/17
- The Absurdity of Raul's Recycled "Reforms"
- Tanks on the Streets, Party Congress Inside
- Julia Dreams of a Post-Castro Dictatorship
- Newest Member of Castro's "Diplomatic" Corp
- Poll: Cubans Overwhelmingly Desire Freedom
- Dissidents Want Political Change
- The New Repression Hotline
- Castro's Revolving Prison Doors
- Congress Honors Bay of Pigs Veterans
- (Shamelessly) Promoting Sex-Tourism to Cuba
- Rogues Love to Take Hostages
- U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum "Channels" the KGB
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 29
- Raul's (Unimpressive) Economic "Reforms"
- Biscet Asks Kerry to Lift USAID Hold
- Castro Regime Steals U.S. Humanitarian Aid
- Reflecting on Air Support (or Lack Thereof)
- ▼ 04/10 - 04/17 (17)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)