Fidel and Raul Castro's close friend and ally, Libyan dictator Muammar Al Qathafi, has reportedly been captured and killed.
From Tripoli Post:
The National Transitional military chief, Abdul Hakim Belhaj, has confirmed that former Libyan dictator, Muammar Al Qathafi has died of his wounds after being captured near his hometown of Sirte following a gun battle. As such, Sirte appears to have been, not only been his birthplace, but also his grave.
Meanwhile, NTC chief Mustafa Abdul-Jalil is due to address the Libyan nation shortly, when he is expected to confirm the news.
Muammar Al Qathafi, 69, has reportedly been killed with a shot to the head after fighters surrounded the hole he was found hiding in. They then took him to Misurata to a location that is being kept secret for security reasons, according to an NTC official.
Libya's interim rulers said: "Al Qathafi's body is with our unit in a car and we are taking the body to a secret place for security reasons" most probably for identification.
Belhaj is the highest NTC official to confirm Al Qathafi's death. The former leader had not been seen since NTC fighters seized Tripoli, the Libyan capital two months ago.
Sources told tripolipost.com that Al Qathafi's body was being taken to a hospital in Misurata so that the medics could confirm that the dead body truly belongs to the former Libyan leader.
Meanwhile in Benghazi, soon after the reports of Al Qathafi's capture, crowds gathered in the streets started to celebrate. The same in Tripoli, Misurata, and other cities that had suffered so much under the Al Qathafi regime. The sounds of gun shots were heard and people cheered in the street: “God is Great, God is Great, Al Qathafi has been captured.”
- ► 2016 (601)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
10/16 - 10/23
- Castro Rewards Ukrainian Repression
- Political Cartoon of the Week
- Understanding the Cuban Exile Experience
- Gadhafi's Friend(s) to the Death
- Finding a Positive in the WashPo's Attack
- Remembering Celia
- My Family's Flight from Castro
- Before Reading a Havana News Bureau Story...
- "Gotcha" Reporting At Its Worst
- Heading to Texas
- The Future Accounted for the Past
- Picture of the Month
- A Very Bad Day for Brutal Dictators
- Rubio Letter to Secretary Clinton
- Lady of Valor
- The Same "New" Story of Cuba Drilling
- Over 20 "Ladies in White" Arrested
- Must-Read: Punk Rockers for a Free Cuba!
- Obama's Cuba Appeasement
- Record-Shattering Repression in Cuba
- Honoring Laura Pollan
- Here Come "The Ladies in White"
- Castro Arrests His Long-Time Creditors
- In the Congressional Record
- Connie Mack Nails It on Cuba Policy
- Tongue-Tied at State
- Obama's Efforts Have Fallen Flat
- ▼ 10/16 - 10/23 (27)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)