In today's Huffington Post, Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez discovers that Castro's tourism apartheid persists and that it doesn't bother foreign visitors one bit:
We arrived at the dock half an hour early. The sun-burnt tourists began to board the boat. [My husband] and I reached the spectacular corner from where we took photos of that bay as big as an ocean. The dream lasted barely five minutes. When the captain heard us talking he asked if we were Cubans. He shortly informed us that we had to go ashore, "boat rides are prohibited for nationals at every marina in the country." Rage, anger, the shame of carrying a blue passport makes us guilty -- in advance -- in the eyes of the law of our own nation. A feeling of deception on comparing the official discourse of a supposed opening with the reality of exclusion and stigma. We wanted to cause a scene and cling to the railing, to compel them to remove us by force, but what would it have served? My husband dusted off his French and told the group of Europeans what was happening. They looked surprised, whispered among themselves. None of them disembarked -- in solidarity with the excluded -- from that coastal tour of our island; none of them found it intolerable to enjoy something that is forbidden to us, its natives.
- ► 2013 (555)
- ► 2012 (1158)
11/06 - 11/13
- IACHR Concerned About Dissident's Safety
- On Pope Benedict's Potential Trip
- Reporting on Cuba's Tragic Reality
- Rant of Last Year
- Dissidents Imprisoned Indefinitely
- Honoring Our Veterans
- Next Week at The Heritage Foundation
- CDA Report: Support Cuba's 0.01%
- Castro Defaults on More Loans
- Can You Spot the "New" Defense Minister?
- The Foreign Oil Pollution Act
- Menendez to State: Stop the Money
- Rubio Challenges Obama's Cuba Policy
- Jackal: "Fidel Has Killed More Than Me"
- During Today's Confirmation Hearing
- Fact: Obama Policy is Financing Castro's Regime
- Tourism Apartheid and Complicit Foreigners
- Smoke-and-Mirror Reforms
- The Foreign Oil Spill Liability Act
- Whose Side is the State Department On?
- The Repression Rundown
- El Sexto's Moral Axiom
- The Truth About Castro's Home Sales
- The Truth About Castro's Car Sales
- ▼ 11/06 - 11/13 (24)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)