In The Miami Herald:
An American rebel’s final defiant words before execution by Castro
A newly uncovered letter by an American rebel to his elderly mother on the eve of his execution by Castro shows he had no regrets.
Just one day before his own brutal execution, William Morgan sat in a dingy Cuban prison cell and scrawled his final letter to his elderly mother in Ohio.
Charged with trying to overthrow the Castro government, the man known as el Yanqui Comandante wrote he had no regrets for fighting in a revolution that changed Cuba, defended his role in battling the leaders who seized control, and said he was ready to die.
“And if my life will help the people of Cuba, then I am glad to give it,’’ he wrote before he was hauled before a firing squad [...]
[H]e went on to blast the fledgling government for abandoning the goals of “the Revolucion for which I fought.”
“For no man has a right to impose his will or belief on others,” Morgan wrote. “All men have an in borne right to better themselves and their families. I have spent my time in Cuba trying to help them do just that.”
- ► 2013 (470)
04/29 - 05/06
- The Meaning of Reconciliation
- The Cardinal Neglects His Flock
- Must-Read: Business Does Not Bring Freedom
- Quote of the Week
- Oppenheimer Goes Off the Deep End
- Whether Ikea, Melia or Odebrecht
- The Boot-Licking Cardinal
- Senator Rubio on FL's Cuba-Syria Bill
- Ikea Purchased Slave Labor From Castro
- Lazy Havana Bureaus Strike Again
- Gov. Scott Retracts Signing Letter
- The Truth About the "Cuban Five"
- Governor Spins Back (Yet) Again
- Gov. Scott Keeps Adding Insult to Insult
- Gov. "Slick" Rick Tries to Pull a Fast One
- Unmasking the Cardinal's Lies
- Free Jorge Vazquez Chaviano
- Rivera Questions Jacobson
- Press Freedom Matters
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Cut Cuba-Syria Ties to Receive Public Funds
- Remarks at America's Forum Conference
- Final Defiant Words
- Romney Urges Protection of Chinese Dissident
- Castro is Clearly Worried
- ▼ 04/29 - 05/06 (25)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)