Europe Cuba Network Call for Immediate Release of Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez"
The Europe Cuba Network is calling on the Cuban government to immediately release long time human rights defender, Jorge Luis García Pérez, also known as “Antúnez”. The members of the Europe Cuba Network are gravely concerned for the welfare of Antúnez, a former Amnesty International Prisoner of Conscience, who presented video testimony to the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee on “Countering Repression and Strengthening Civil Society in Cuba” on Thursday, 7 June.
On Saturday, 9 June, Antúnez was arrested. He was reportedly pepper-sprayed and beaten unconscious before being removed from his cell. His current whereabouts are unknown.
The Europe Cuba Network urges the European Union (EU) and its member states to make urgent representations on behalf of Antúnez to the Cuban government. The Europe Cuba Network also calls on the EU and other members of the international community to hold the Cuban government to account for all attacks on Cuban human rights defenders and specifically for the physical welfare of Antúnez.
Christian Solidarity Worldwide – United Kingdom
Člověk v tísni/ People in Need – Czech Republic
Cuba Futuro - Netherlands
Freedom and Democracy Foundation - Poland
Fundación Hispano Cubana - Spain
Italian Helsinki Committee for Human Rights - Italy
Kristdemokratiskt Internationellt Center/Christian Democratic International Center - Sweden
OZ Clovek v ohrozeni / People in Peril Association – Slovak Republic
Solidaridad Española con Cuba – Spain
Unitas Foundation - Estonia
- ► 2013 (462)
06/10 - 06/17
- Encourage Citizen Reporting in Cuba
- Obama Should Stand Against Cuban Repression
- Nearly Two Dozen Ladies in White Imprisoned
- Speaking Truth to Cuba’s Despots
- Iranian Drones and Russian Kalashnikovs
- Health of American Hostage Worsens
- The Testimony That Enraged Castro
- Menendez & Rubio Talk With Antunez Upon Release
- Castro Official At Senate Hearing Revealed
- Thank You, President Uribe
- WSJ: Antunez's Courage, Castro's Payback
- Nelson Letter on Antunez's Arrest
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Must Watch: CNN Report on Antunez's Arrest
- European NGO's Call for Antunez's Release
- ING to Pay $619 Million for Sanctions Violations
- Chairman Kerry Statement on Antunez's Arrest
- Must Watch: On the Senate Floor
- Menendez Calls For Visa Ban and Investigation of A...
- Rubio Calls for Antunez's Release
- Mack Calls for Antunez's Release
- Ros-Lehtinen Calls for Antunez's Release
- Rivera Calls for Antunez's Release
- Senate Witness Arrested and Brutally Beaten
- Jacobson's Defense of the Indefensible
- O'Grady: Castro Endorses Obama
- Hiding Behind "Daddy"
- Repression Steadily on the Rise
- ▼ 06/10 - 06/17 (28)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)