Senator Rubio Comments on the Beating of Cuban Freedom Advocate Jorge Luis garcia Perez "Antunez"
Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) issued the following statement today following reports that Cuban regime authorities detained and viciously beat freedom advocate and former political prisoner Jorge Luis García Pérez Antunez, less than a week after he testified via tele-conference during a Senate Foreign Relations’ Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere Affairs hearing:
“Antunez is a courageous human rights activist. It is clear that he has been jailed and savagely beaten by criminals working for the Castro regime because he testified before the Senate last week. The regime’s thugs will eventually be held accountable for these crimes. History will not wipe away the blood they have on their hands. Antunez should be released immediately, and all threats and acts of violence against him and his family must stop, as they should with any Cubans who are simply demanding their God-given rights.
Furthermore, we should reexamine the unintended yet negative consequences of this administration’s loosened travel and remittance policies. The naïve people-to-people exchanges that have been abused provides Raul Castro’s regime the hard currency it requires to pay thugs to jail, brutalize and even murder innocent Cuban people.”
- ► 2013 (461)
06/10 - 06/17
- Encourage Citizen Reporting in Cuba
- Obama Should Stand Against Cuban Repression
- Nearly Two Dozen Ladies in White Imprisoned
- Speaking Truth to Cuba’s Despots
- Iranian Drones and Russian Kalashnikovs
- Health of American Hostage Worsens
- The Testimony That Enraged Castro
- Menendez & Rubio Talk With Antunez Upon Release
- Castro Official At Senate Hearing Revealed
- Thank You, President Uribe
- WSJ: Antunez's Courage, Castro's Payback
- Nelson Letter on Antunez's Arrest
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Must Watch: CNN Report on Antunez's Arrest
- European NGO's Call for Antunez's Release
- ING to Pay $619 Million for Sanctions Violations
- Chairman Kerry Statement on Antunez's Arrest
- Must Watch: On the Senate Floor
- Menendez Calls For Visa Ban and Investigation of A...
- Rubio Calls for Antunez's Release
- Mack Calls for Antunez's Release
- Ros-Lehtinen Calls for Antunez's Release
- Rivera Calls for Antunez's Release
- Senate Witness Arrested and Brutally Beaten
- Jacobson's Defense of the Indefensible
- O'Grady: Castro Endorses Obama
- Hiding Behind "Daddy"
- Repression Steadily on the Rise
- ▼ 06/10 - 06/17 (28)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)