As we've noted in previous posts, over 25 Cuban pro-democracy activists have begun a hunger strike to protest the sharp rise in repression by the Castro regime.
Two of them, Martha Beatriz Roque and Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez", are very gravely ill and their lives are currently at risk.
As Roque has stated:
"We're telling the world - wake up, wake up to what's happening with the opposition in Cuba. Don't look at all this like it's the routine of every day. Because the routine of every day is finishing off the opposition."
Among their specific demands is the immediate release of Jorge Vazquez Chaviano.
Who is Jorge Vazquez Chaviano?
On March 27th of this year, Vazquez Chaviano left his home in Sagua La Grande and headed towards Havana to attend the Mass of Pope Benedict XVI.
Pro-democracy activists, like Vazquez Chaviano, had been told by Castro's secret police they would not be allowed to attend the Pope's Mass.
In an act of extraordinary courage, he attempted to do so anyway. He was intercepted by the Castro regime (see actual picture of his arrest below), beaten and taken away.
He was handed a 6-month prison sentence under the false charge of "illicit economic activity." Just a few weeks ago, he was severely beaten and transferred to the prison of Alambradas de Manacas, one of the Castro regime's most nefarious facilities.
Vazquez Chaviano's 6-month sentence ended on Sunday, September 9th.
Yet the Castro regime refuses to release him.
- ► 2013 (558)
09/09 - 09/16
- Must-Read: Doing Business With The Castros
- AI: Why is Jorge Vazquez Chaviano in Prison?
- What Corruption Means in Castro's Cuba
- The Cause For The Hunger Strike
- State to Castro: Get Serious
- The Oswaldo Paya Tattoo
- Martha Beatriz Roque's Life in Danger
- Antunez in Critical Condition
- Health of Hunger Strikers in Critical State
- Quote of the Week
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- 25 Dissidents Now on Hunger Strike
- FWAM: Exclusive Interview With Judy Gross
- Cuban LGTB Leader Arrested
- Leading Independent Journalist Missing
- Alan Gross Petition to UNWGAD
- Thirteen Prominent Activists on Hunger Strike
- Justice is Timeless
- WSJ: Cuba's American Hostage
- Castro Regime Needs More Snitching
- ▼ 09/09 - 09/16 (20)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)