An excerpt by Cuban blogger Ivan Garcia in "Desde La Habana" ("From Havana"):
Castro is only interested in the money that comes from emigres. That they come to Cuba and spend lots of money. That they bring more dollars each time. But he wants them at arms length. Forget about business in strategic sectors. It's better to keep milking them by taxing their trips and the packages they send to the island. The Castro brothers have no desire to treat emigres fairly.
When the exile community learns how to use its economic might as a weapon, it will force the government to change its antiquated discourse and anachronistic laws. In the meantime, he only needs them to keep filling the piggy bank.
Read the whole thing (in Spanish) here.
- ► 2016 (381)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
09/02 - 09/09
- Romney Memo on Obama's Foreign Policy "Failures"
- That Pesky Totalitarianism
- Must-Watch: #Cryfreedom Cuba
- Religious Persecution Persists in Cuba
- Kudos to Senator Rubio and OFAC
- There (Carter) Goes Again
- Cuba and North Korea Expand Military Ties
- Not the Intent of the Cuban Adjustment Act
- The "Reform" Storyline
- That Son-of-a-Castro
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Doing Odebrecht's Bidding in Havana
- On the DNC Floor
- Colombia's Gamble
- 538 Political Arrests in August
- DNC Platform on Cuba
- Travelers "Shocked" by Castro's New Tax
- Propaganda Tours to Cuba
- Obama Should Require Reciprocity for "Cultural Exc...
- The Sad Truth "From Havana"
- ▼ 09/02 - 09/09 (20)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)