This month, the Castro regime was finally able to block -- for now -- Hablalo Sin Miedo (Speak Without Fear), a 911-type hotline that allows dissidents to call-in reports on arrests and abuses.
In a cat-and-mouse game, the regime had been chasing Hablalo Sin Miedo's numbers abroad for a long time and trying to block them on the island.
Now, Cuban state media has released the following:
"Commenting on the management report, officials from the Ministry of Informatics and Communications announced the reduction of the access to mobile phone services by the population."
This was part of a presentation to Castro's Parliament by the Minister of Informatics and Communications, Maimir Mesa, where he also stated that Internet access will remain restricted for the "collective benefit."
In other words, it will continue to be reserved for the regime.
This, despite the infamous fiber-optic cable between Cuba and Venezuela, which Cuba "experts" has originally lauded as transcendental and believed would surely have a some sort of "trickle down" effect.
They were wrong.
The cable is now a state-secret, which no one talks about, and for the regime's benefit only.
Apparently, foreign news bureaus in Havana, which usually waste no time reporting snippets from Castro's official media, missed this one.
- ► 2015 (735)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
12/09 - 12/16
- How Badly Does Castro Need Chavez?
- Foreign Relations Shuffle
- Our Great Challenge
- Our Thoughts and Prayers
- From a Friend of Alan Gross
- Interview With President Obama
- Cuba to Strengthen Ties With Iran
- Quote of the Day
- So Much For Raul's Migration "Reforms"
- No Easy Exit for Educated Cubans
- Is Castro Taking Aim at Cell Phones?
- Castros Take Hostages, U.S. Serves Castros Pate
- Free Calixto Martinez Arias Now
- Before Embracing Castro on any "Agenda"
- Obama: U.S. Recognizes Syrian Opposition
- Time to Rethink U.S.-Cuba Migration Policy
- How Independent Journalists Are Harassed
- How Important is Tourism to the Castros?
- From The State Department
- Attacks on Human Rights Day
- Quote of the Day
- MH: No Deal for Spies
- Nearly 80 Ladies in White Arrested
- AP's Sloppy Reporting on Cuban-American Electorate...
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Castro's Bogus Economic "Reforms" Exposed
- ▼ 12/09 - 12/16 (26)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)