Dear foreign news bureaus in Havana:
For the sake of journalism, we urge you to call attention to the unjust imprisonment of Cuban independent journalist, Calixto Martinez Arias.
During the summer, Calixto broke the news of a cholera outbreak in Cuba weeks after the government declared it eradicated. He then discovered five tons of humanitarian aid sent to Cuba by the Word Health Organization (WHO), which was left to spoil at Havana's airport.
In democratic countries, Calixto would be recognized for his audacious investigative reporting.
However, in Cuba, he was arrested on September 16th and charged with "disrespect" to the figures of Fidel and Raul Castro.
He is currently on the 25th day of a hunger strike, and in a very weakened state, at the infamous Combinado del Este prison.
Please inform the world about your professional colleague, Calixto Martinez Arias.
If in your home countries criticizing (or the perception of criticizing) political figures would be a "crime" -- you'd all be in prison.
The only difference between you and Calixto is that you were fortunate enough to be born in freedom.
Thank you in advance.
- ► 2016 (433)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
12/02 - 12/09
- Blogger Handed 5-Year Prison Sentence
- Imprisoned Journalist's Life at Risk
- Another Day in Cuba
- Time to Pressure Castro
- Iberia Halts Flights to Havana
- The Absurdity of "People-to-Castro" Travel
- How Castro Profits From Human Exploitation
- Tweets of the Week
- Absolute Fool of the Year
- Please, For the Sake of Journalism
- Senate Passes Unanimous Alan Gross Resolution
- WaPo: No Gross-for-Spies Deal
- U.N. Finds Gross Detention Against Int'l Law
- UNiTE Ignores Violence Against Women
- Arrests, Arrests and More Arrests
- Free Sonia Garro
- Immediate and Unconditional Release of Alan Gross
- The Violence and Impunity Continues
- Hostage-for-Prisoners Swap Unlikely
- Quote of the Week
- Tweets for Alan Gross
- Repercussions Are Overdue
- Three-Years Later: Time For Pressure
- From The State Department
- Girl Knifed for Supporting Dissidents
- Which Castro Ordered the Murder of Americans?
- ▼ 12/02 - 12/09 (26)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)