According to Cafe Fuerte, Cuban dictator Raul Castro's daughter, Deborah Castro Espin, is seeking a divorce from her husband, Col. Luis Alberto Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja.
Apparently, Col. Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja has a weakness for infidelity and domestic violence, which has caught up to him.
This has important repercussions, as his marriage positioned him to be named Chairman of GAESA S.A., the Cuban military's business empire -- worth billions -- and as a member of the Central Committee of the Cuban Communist Party.
As Chairman of GAESA, Col. Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja, effectively controls over half of the Cuban economy.
From hotels, to restaurants, to nightclubs, to airlines, to gas stations, to retails outlets, to foreign exchange stores (for remittance transactions), to electronics, to shipping, to rum, to real estate, to arms, to banking -- GAESA has a stake in it.
They fancy themselves the owners of Cuba.
And Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja had been entrusted with its fortune since 2008, when the former Chairman, General Julio Casas Regueiro, was named Minister of Defense.
At the time, Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja also received a promotion from Major to Colonel.
So what will happen now?
Perhaps he'll escape in a yacht to Tampa like former Alimport CEO, Pedro Alvarez, and be paroled under the Cuban Adjustment Act.
Hey, every other repressor is.
But Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja's saving grace may be that his son, Raul Guillermo, is Raul's favorite -- and his main bodyguard.
Their other daughter, Vilma, was recently given a visa to party in New York.
Rodriguez Lopez-Calleja is pictured on the right.
- ► 2015 (449)
- ► 2014 (1177)
01/13 - 01/20
- Video: Dissidents Brutally Beaten
- Must-Read: Cuba in a Time of Cholera
- Quote of the Week
- Preserve Democracy Programs
- The Ugly Spaniards and Canadians
- Castro Freezes Church Funds
- On the Repression Front
- What About Calixto?
- The Migration Circus
- Pro-Democracy Leader Targeted in Murder Plot
- Quote of the Day
- Trouble in the Castro Clan
- Top Democrat on Western Hemisphere Subcommittee
- Kudos to the State Department
- Remarks @World Trade Center Orlando
- Must-Read: On Cuba's New "Migration Law"
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- BBC Reports on Cholera Outbreak
- At World Trade Center Orlando
- Hagel's Cuba Problem
- ▼ 01/13 - 01/20 (20)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)