U.S. Senator Marco Rubio today joined Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez in meeting with Cuban blogger Yoani Sánchez, the author of Generación Y blog, as well as fellow blogger Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo. Sanchez is visiting Washington today as part of her tour of the U.S. and other nations to share her insights about life in Cuba.
During the meeting, Sanchez and the senators discussed various topics, including expanding Internet access in Cuba, recently announced changes in Cuban travel and property policies, the future of Cuba's government, foreign tourism to Cuba, the U.S. embargo, the Helms-Burton law, the Cuban Adjustment Act and what her life in Cuba is like.
Following the meeting, Rubio issued the following statement:
"Yoani is a remarkable woman and I was honored to meet with her to get her perspective on a broad range of issues regarding Cuba's people and their future. Through her Generación Y blog, Yoani has given the rest of the world valuable insights into daily life in Cuba and, more importantly, given us a glimpse of what brave, Cuban democracy advocates like her can do with a little bit of Internet access. I believe expanding Internet access to Cuba is an important foreign policy goal we should work towards, so that many more can follow Yoani's lead and help expose the reality of the regime's inept and repressive nature.
Yoani's tour is a testament to her relentless drive in all she does, having been denied this chance by the regime so many times but keeping at it until she was finally allowed to travel. Her trip is invaluable in helping others better understand Cuba from the perspective of people like her who long to be free.
It is critically important that, when it's time for her to return home, we remain vigilant about the abuse and acts of vengeance the regime is surely contemplating against her. The Castro regime is full of thugs and murderers, and we must join other nations in continuing to demand the safety and human rights not only of Yoani but of all the Cuban people."
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
03/17 - 03/24
- Before It Was Called "the China Model"
- On the Idiotic Posthumous Cult of Hugo Chávez
- Young Cuban Rapper Kidnapped by Authorities
- R.I.P. Bebo Valdes
- African Politicians Laundering Money Through Cuba
- Odebrecht Rooting for Maduro in Venezuela
- Definition of Fraudulent Change
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 42
- A Thorn in Castro's Side
- Yoani Rejects Unconditional Lifting of Sanctions
- Quote of the Day
- Salmon-Sires on Attacks Against Cuba's Ladies in W...
- Cubans Are Losing Their Fear
- Senator Rubio on Meeting Yoani
- Yoani Goes to the White House
- Today on "From Washington al Mundo"
- Brookings Needs Five Minutes With Senator Rubio
- Senator Nelson Calls for a Paya U.N. Investigation...
- Cuba: Paradise for Sex Tourists
- The Stoning of The Ladies in White
- Who Will Stand Up for Oswaldo Payá?
- Quote of the Day
- Cuban Democracy Leaders Stress Importance of U.S. ...
- On U.S. Policy Toward Cuba
- The Castro Regime and Child-Sex Tourism
- ▼ 03/17 - 03/24 (25)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)