Nearly a week ago, over 25 members of the Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU) began a sit-in protest and hunger strike in the Central Park of the eastern city of Santiago.
They are protesting the increased repression against their colleagues -- 40 of whom are currently in prison.
The park has been surrounded by Castro's state security forces.
In towns near Santiago, activists have held solidarity protests, some of which have been violently attacked by the regime's forces. These include the homes of Maximiliano Sánchez Perera and Ramon Bolaños, where agents broke in, beat and arrested those gathered.
Meanwhile, flyers and stickers in support of the UNPACU hunger strikers have been found throughout the city.
Led by UNPACU founder Jose Daniel Ferrer, those on hunger strike in Santiago include:
Darmis Aguedo Zaldívar
Enrique Lozada Igarza
Arnoldo Lozada Igarza
Yoandris Veranes Hernández
Ana Celia Rodríguez Torres
Ramón Escalona Salinas
Yunieski San Martín Garcés
Yonnis Wilson Rauseau
Sirley Ávila León
Gohart Cruz Zamora
Daniel Barriel Sanjurjo
Lázaro Curbelo Mejías
Vladimir Alarcón Moré
Ángel Bess Beirides
Wilder Cervantes Guza
Doraisa Correoso Pozo
Jesús Dupotey Ferrer
Adriana Núñez Pascual
Roberto González Feria
Marcia Oduardo Mustelier
José Amado Estrada Varela
Roel Prado Mondejal
Norvis Pérez Reyes
Arnold Hernández Yen
Here's a picture of some of the UNPACU hunger strikers gathered in Santiago:
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
04/14 - 04/21
- Definition of "Self-Employment" in Cuba
- Image of the Week
- Dissidents Continue Standoff in Santiago
- State Department Releases Human Rights Report
- Imprisoned Cuban Rapper Suffers a Stroke
- Castro Continues to Avoid Real Economic Reform
- Must-Read: WashPost Magazine Feature Story on Cuba...
- Former Senator Dorgan Lays a Cuba Whopper
- Quote of the Day
- Two American Hostages in Two Terrorist States
- Problem Kids: Our Song is for Freedom of Cuba
- White House Statement on Venezuela
- Today on From Washington al Mundo
- Must Listen: Cuban-American Rappers Educate Jay-Z
- Quote of the Week
- Two Poets, Two Ángels, Two Children Nobody Wanted
- Dissident Leads Standoff in Santiago
- Our Thoughts and Prayers With Boston
- Remain Vigilant: Rosa Maria Paya Returns to Cuba T...
- The Great Cuban Oil Myth is Over
- Castor Should Stop Supporting Castros
- Watch: MSNBC Discussion on Cuba Policy
- Rubio: On Jay-Z, Imprisoned Cuban Rapper and Trave...
- Tweet of the Day
- Pitbull Responds to Jay-Z's "Open Letter"
- Check Out Jay-Z's Cuba State of Mind
- Meet Imprisoned Cuban Rapper Angel Yunier Remon
- Afro-Cuban Loses His Job Through NYT
- ▼ 04/14 - 04/21 (28)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)