It has been nearly one-month since the unjust imprisonment of Cuban rapper Ángel Yunier Remón, from the hip-hop duo “Los Hijos Que Nadie Quiso” (‘The Children Nobody Wanted’).
On March 21st, Ángel was beaten, attacked with tear gas and arrested, as Castro's secret police broke into the home of his aunt, Jaquelin Garcia, a member of The Ladies in White pro-democracy movement.
The Children That Nobody Wanted.
That is also the name of Cuban poet/author (and current political prisoner) Ángel Santiesteban-Prats' blog.
Two Ángels, Two Poets (one urban, one traditional), Two Children That Nobody Wanted.
Only their first name.
For sadly it is the sentiment of those who courageously speak out -- whether through art or advocacy -- for freedom in Cuba and are brutally punished by an intolerant Castro regime -- in the face of an oblivious world.
Let's make sure they are not forgotten.
If we don't, who will?
This week, Ángel (the traditional poet) was able to smuggle out the following verse from prison:
From Monday the 8th at 7pm.
Without water, nor clothes, nor toiletries, without light, on a concrete bed.
Imitating my patriotic readings
they suppressed my horizon.
I took hold of your name,
of memory the last station.
Every letter engraved
on the silent walls of my cell,
swiftly came the hummingbirds
to applaud the end of my concert.
The spit lost its reach,
roaches played on my face,
my mother gave me a one way ticket
although she knew that love wasn’t surrendering.
The train departed with one aboard,
smudging the image on the window,
for an instance two dried up cats
were following the shadow of a dream.
Prison. 1580 San Miguel del Padrón
In solitary confinement and starvation.
Here lies Angel Santiesteban Prats, controversial, patriot, slandered and friend.
He lived and died as he imagined the best novels.
(Translated by Ernesto Suarez)
- ► 2014 (1028)
04/14 - 04/21
- Definition of "Self-Employment" in Cuba
- Image of the Week
- Dissidents Continue Standoff in Santiago
- State Department Releases Human Rights Report
- Imprisoned Cuban Rapper Suffers a Stroke
- Castro Continues to Avoid Real Economic Reform
- Must-Read: WashPost Magazine Feature Story on Cuba...
- Former Senator Dorgan Lays a Cuba Whopper
- Quote of the Day
- Two American Hostages in Two Terrorist States
- Problem Kids: Our Song is for Freedom of Cuba
- White House Statement on Venezuela
- Today on From Washington al Mundo
- Must Listen: Cuban-American Rappers Educate Jay-Z
- Quote of the Week
- Two Poets, Two Ángels, Two Children Nobody Wanted
- Dissident Leads Standoff in Santiago
- Our Thoughts and Prayers With Boston
- Remain Vigilant: Rosa Maria Paya Returns to Cuba T...
- The Great Cuban Oil Myth is Over
- Castor Should Stop Supporting Castros
- Watch: MSNBC Discussion on Cuba Policy
- Rubio: On Jay-Z, Imprisoned Cuban Rapper and Trave...
- Tweet of the Day
- Pitbull Responds to Jay-Z's "Open Letter"
- Check Out Jay-Z's Cuba State of Mind
- Meet Imprisoned Cuban Rapper Angel Yunier Remon
- Afro-Cuban Loses His Job Through NYT
- ▼ 04/14 - 04/21 (28)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)