From The Hill:
The leading Cuba hawk in Congress slammed President Obama for shaking the hand of the communist island's leader during Nelson Mandela's memorial service in South Africa on Tuesday.
“Sometimes a handshake is just a handshake,” said Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.). “But when the leader of the free world shakes the bloody hand of a ruthless dictator like Raúl Castro it becomes a propaganda coup for the tyrant. Raúl Castro uses that hand to sign orders to oppress and jail democracy activists.”
Ros-Lehtinen made the remarks during a House Foreign Affairs panel hearing where Secretary of State John Kerry was discussing the nuclear deal with Iran. She asked Kerry to reassure her that the handshake doesn't indicate a weakening of U.S. policy vis-à-vis Cuba.
Kerry said nothing has changed.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/08 - 12/15
- European Parliament Calls for Paya Death Investiga...
- Faces of Cuba's Pro-Democracy Movement
- Similarities: South Africa's Apartheid Regime and ...
- Must-Read: CNN Reporter Describes Interview With E...
- Cuban Band That Partook in Repression Should Not G...
- Image of the Week: A Mother Tries to Help Her Repr...
- Must-See: "Ladies in White" Beaten and Stripped Na...
- Female Dissident in Intensive Care After Beating
- State Department Condemns Castro's Repression
- The White House on the Obama-Castro Handshake
- So Much for "People-to-People"
- WaPo Editorial Board: Obama Should Extend Hand to ...
- Quote of the Day: On a Gross-for-Cuban Spies Trade...
- Over 150 Dissidents Arrested on Human Rights Day
- Treasury Fines Bank for Sanctions Violations
- Obama Defies Dictators in Mandela Speech
- Senator Cruz Walked Out on Castro Speech
- Human Rights Day: Handshake in South Africa, Repre...
- Kerry Recognizes Imprisoned Cuban Rapper
- On Today's Repression in Cuba
- Kerry: No Change in U.S. Policy Toward Cuba
- Tweet of the Day
- From The White House: On Obama-Castro Handshake
- Quote of the Day: Obama at Mandela's Memorial Serv...
- MH Editorial Board: Alan Gross Should Not Be Swapp...
- WaPo Editorial Board: Antonio Rodiles Boldly Confr...
- Letter From Rodiles to Raul
- Foolish to Think Castro Would Sacrifice His Holida...
- Cuban LGBT Activist Nearly Beaten to Death
- Tweet of the Day
- Meet the American Hostages
- ▼ 12/08 - 12/15 (31)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)