Both Penultimos Dias and Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez have noted that Castro's economy "czar" Marino Murillo, has not been seen or heard from in quite a long time.
Murillo is the face of Castro's cosmetic "reforms."
There is strong suspicion that he has either defected -- à la Pedro Alvarez, the former head of Castro's foreign trade agency, Alimport, who is now residing in Tampa.
(Murillo's daughter, Glenda, defected to the U.S. in August 2012.)
Or has been purged -- à la Carlos Lage, Castro's previous economy "czar," and Felipe Perez Roque, the former Foreign Minister.
The last we heard regarding Murillo was in early November, when his $36,000 beach vacation at the Hotel Melia in Holguin was exposed.
Oh Marino, where art though?
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/15 - 12/22
- Meet Alejandrina Garcia de la Riva
- Preparing the Noose Over Mariel
- Quote of the Week
- Over 30 Ladies in White Arrested Today
- Questions for Raul Castro
- Raul Castro's Rule: Over 200 Deaths and Disappeara...
- Another Ridiculous "Reform": It's All About the Mo...
- Is Venezuela on the Brink of Economic Collapse?
- A Cuban Dissident's Belated Tribute to Mandela
- Pitching the Castro Family's Business Monopoly
- Missing: Cuba's Economy "Czar"
- Shaking Hands With "Libertad" in Cuba
- CNN's Fareed Zakaria (Unwittingly) Supports Cuba S...
- Another "Reformer" Gone Bad
- Appeasement Has Only Emboldened Cuba’s Dictators
- The New York Times Adopts "Anti-Mandela Lobby" Tal...
- Why Did Obama Shake Hands With My Father's Killer,...
- U.S. Lawmakers Regret Not Supporting Sanctions
- A Cuban Connection to North Korea's Purges?
- ▼ 12/15 - 12/22 (19)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)