By CNN Espanol reporter, Andres Lopez, on his interview this week with Elian Gonzalez:
From the beginning of the interview, every question and respective answer was carefully monitored by a "chaperone" who would not leave Elian's side. She would nod her head affirmatively as the young man answered. And that's how the interview "flowed."
As I listened, I must confess that I wasn't impacted by Elian being a "convinced" revolutionary. That was to be expected. What really impacted me was when I asked him about his mother: The person who 15 years ago fled Cuba, risked everything, who probably even denied herself air to save his young life.
Elian responded with no emotion whatsoever. He said his mother died like many others and that's it. He said it like someone who learns a "truth" by memory.
I immediately asked myself whether the principles of the Cuba revolution had hardened Elian's heart. I'd like to believe that deep down Elian faces an existential dilemma: To whom does he owe his loyalty? To the revolution or to his mother's love?
I hope that with time he inclines the scale in favor of the person that gave him life and even died for him.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/08 - 12/15
- European Parliament Calls for Paya Death Investiga...
- Faces of Cuba's Pro-Democracy Movement
- Similarities: South Africa's Apartheid Regime and ...
- Must-Read: CNN Reporter Describes Interview With E...
- Cuban Band That Partook in Repression Should Not G...
- Image of the Week: A Mother Tries to Help Her Repr...
- Must-See: "Ladies in White" Beaten and Stripped Na...
- Female Dissident in Intensive Care After Beating
- State Department Condemns Castro's Repression
- The White House on the Obama-Castro Handshake
- So Much for "People-to-People"
- WaPo Editorial Board: Obama Should Extend Hand to ...
- Quote of the Day: On a Gross-for-Cuban Spies Trade...
- Over 150 Dissidents Arrested on Human Rights Day
- Treasury Fines Bank for Sanctions Violations
- Obama Defies Dictators in Mandela Speech
- Senator Cruz Walked Out on Castro Speech
- Human Rights Day: Handshake in South Africa, Repre...
- Kerry Recognizes Imprisoned Cuban Rapper
- On Today's Repression in Cuba
- Kerry: No Change in U.S. Policy Toward Cuba
- Tweet of the Day
- From The White House: On Obama-Castro Handshake
- Quote of the Day: Obama at Mandela's Memorial Serv...
- MH Editorial Board: Alan Gross Should Not Be Swapp...
- WaPo Editorial Board: Antonio Rodiles Boldly Confr...
- Letter From Rodiles to Raul
- Foolish to Think Castro Would Sacrifice His Holida...
- Cuban LGBT Activist Nearly Beaten to Death
- Tweet of the Day
- Meet the American Hostages
- ▼ 12/08 - 12/15 (31)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)