Unsurprisingly, The New York Times' Editorial Board has again called for the lifting U.S. sanctions toward Cuba.
No news here -- but let's comment on its rationale anyway.
"This page has long called for an end to America’s embargo..."
Sure -- and it also long claimed that Castro was some sort of freedom-loving democrat.
"...which has strengthened the hand of Mr. Castro, his brother Fidel and other hard-liners who have used it as an excuse for their disastrous misrule in Havana."
Apparently an "excuse" that only The New York Times believes, for the Cuban people aren't stupid.
Moreover, it defies common-sense to believe feeding tens of billions of dollars to Castro's monopolies will somehow "weaken the hand" of the regime. Wonder how The New York Times feels about antitrust.
"...And it has hurt the Cuban people whom we claim to want to help."
This talking point is straight from "Operation Heartbreak," the infamous lobbying campaign by South Africa's apartheid regime and its allies.
Politico ran a great feature on that campaign this week, entitled "The Anti-Mandela Lobby."
Here was its favorite tactic:
"On the morning of June 8, 1988, dozens of children from Washington, D.C., schools spread out across the well-manicured lawns of the U.S. Capitol. Holding hands, the students walked one by one into the domed building, marveling at the large rotunda inside and giggling as their voices echoed off the spacious walls.
But this was no ordinary field trip. The children weren’t there just for a civic lesson—they were also there to deliver a message. Each child carried a small black doll to deliver to the lawmakers. And each doll represented a child who would be harmed by the sanctions that Congress had imposed on South Africa two years earlier in protest of the country’s apartheid government."
To conclude, The New York Times claims:
"Mr. Obama should press Congress to end the embargo and overhaul policy toward Cuba."
Considering the strong bipartisan support for Cuba sanctions in Congress -- that's just wishful thinking.
at 10:39 PM Sunday, December 15, 2013
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/15 - 12/22
- Meet Alejandrina Garcia de la Riva
- Preparing the Noose Over Mariel
- Quote of the Week
- Over 30 Ladies in White Arrested Today
- Questions for Raul Castro
- Raul Castro's Rule: Over 200 Deaths and Disappeara...
- Another Ridiculous "Reform": It's All About the Mo...
- Is Venezuela on the Brink of Economic Collapse?
- A Cuban Dissident's Belated Tribute to Mandela
- Pitching the Castro Family's Business Monopoly
- Missing: Cuba's Economy "Czar"
- Shaking Hands With "Libertad" in Cuba
- CNN's Fareed Zakaria (Unwittingly) Supports Cuba S...
- Another "Reformer" Gone Bad
- Appeasement Has Only Emboldened Cuba’s Dictators
- The New York Times Adopts "Anti-Mandela Lobby" Tal...
- Why Did Obama Shake Hands With My Father's Killer,...
- U.S. Lawmakers Regret Not Supporting Sanctions
- A Cuban Connection to North Korea's Purges?
- ▼ 12/15 - 12/22 (19)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)