North Korea has unconditionally released American hostage, Merrill Newman, from captivity.
(However, it tragically continues to hold another American hostage, Kenneth Bae.)
Meanwhile, Cuba's Castro regime refuses to unconditionally release its American hostage, Alan Gross.
Is North Korea's totalitarian regime more tolerant than Cuba's?
Neither are tolerant by any measure.
Could it be that Newman was a "spare" hostage for North Korea, while it continues to hold Bae for its coercion?
Or maybe it's just that North Korea doesn't have as many U.S.-based lobbyists and politicians peddling its ransom demands.
Well, except for Dennis Rodman, of course.
American Merrill Newman heads for freedom, 'deported' from North Korea
Merrill Newman -- the 85-year-old American detained by North Korean authorities earlier this fall -- is on a flight back to freedom after being locked up in North Korea.
Video showed him smiling as he walked past a cavalcade of reporters through the airport in Beijing. He felt good, he said, and looked forward to seeing his wife.
"I'm very glad to be on my way home," Newman told reporters.
- ► 2016 (644)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/01 - 12/08
- Check Out "Hard Rock Havana"
- Socialism in the Time of Cholera
- North Korea Releases Hostage, Cuba Keeps Hostage
- Castro Continues to Subvert Democracy in Venezuela...
- Image of the Week: From the Ukraine
- On Mandela and Fidel Castro
- On Nelson Mandela's Life and Legacy
- Tweet of the Day
- Must-Read: Welcome to (the Real) Havana
- Struggle for Freedom Vibrant Among Cubans
- Does Anyone Still Think Alan Gross is NOT a Hostag...
- National Security Advisor Susan Rice Talks Cuba, H...
- From The White House
- Are Cuban-Americans Responsible for Iran and North...
- Leahy Prolonging Castro's Hostage-Taking
- From The State Department
- Elian: Fidel is My God
- Tweet of the Day
- A Test Case for Alan Gross's Release
- State Department: On 4th Anniversary of Alan Gross...
- Leahy and WaPo Misrepresent Senator's Views
- Over 761 Political Arrests in November
- Kim and Castro's Hostage Mea Culpas
- Castro Lies and Misleading News Reports
- Dissident Awareness Campaign: Berta Soler
- Quote of the Week
- Tweet of the Week
- ▼ 12/01 - 12/08 (27)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)