Nelson Mandela is no longer physically among us, but his legacy of sacrifice, perseverance and freedom will endure forever.
Despite first espousing violence during the early days of his activism, Mandela's life journey demonstrates the transformational power of peaceful, civil disobedience.
During his 27-year imprisonment, Mandela never relented on his dream of a free, representative and democratic South Africa. He not only lived to see his dream come true, but led his country through its liberation and post-democratic process of national reconciliation.
His passing is also a reminder of the sacrifice of the world's historic political prisoners, such as Cuba's Eusebio Penalver Mazorra, the longest serving political prisoner of African descent in modern history, having served 28-years. Sadly, Penalver passed in 2006, without seeing his beloved homeland free.
Along with former Czech leader Vaclav Havel, Mandela is the ultimate representation of a political prisoner-turned-freely elected leader. From Cuba to North Korea, his extraordinary life gives endless hope to the democratic aspirations of dissidents, political prisoners and activists throughout the world.
Rest in peace and freedom.
- ► 2014 (356)
12/01 - 12/08
- Check Out "Hard Rock Havana"
- Socialism in the Time of Cholera
- North Korea Releases Hostage, Cuba Keeps Hostage
- Castro Continues to Subvert Democracy in Venezuela...
- Image of the Week: From the Ukraine
- On Mandela and Fidel Castro
- On Nelson Mandela's Life and Legacy
- Tweet of the Day
- Must-Read: Welcome to (the Real) Havana
- Struggle for Freedom Vibrant Among Cubans
- Does Anyone Still Think Alan Gross is NOT a Hostag...
- National Security Advisor Susan Rice Talks Cuba, H...
- From The White House
- Are Cuban-Americans Responsible for Iran and North...
- Leahy Prolonging Castro's Hostage-Taking
- From The State Department
- Elian: Fidel is My God
- Tweet of the Day
- A Test Case for Alan Gross's Release
- State Department: On 4th Anniversary of Alan Gross...
- Leahy and WaPo Misrepresent Senator's Views
- Over 761 Political Arrests in November
- Kim and Castro's Hostage Mea Culpas
- Castro Lies and Misleading News Reports
- Dissident Awareness Campaign: Berta Soler
- Quote of the Week
- Tweet of the Week
- ▼ 12/01 - 12/08 (27)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)