Courtesy of Cuba Archive:
The Human Toll of Raul Castro's Rule: 7/31/2006-12/15/2013
As 2013 comes to an end, Raúl Castro remains Cuba's supreme leader after six and a half years —considerably longer than the average president's term in most countries.
The following is a compilation of deaths and disappearances attributed to the Cuban state under Raúl Castro from 7/31/2006 to 12/15/2013.
Documented Cases: 166*
Forced Disappearances: 2
Extrajudicial / Deliberate Killings: 15
Suspected Extrajudicial / Deliberate Killings: 10
By Hunger Strike in Prison: 4
Denial of Medical Care / Medical Condition in Prison: 86
Suicide or Alleged Suicide in Prison or Provoked: 46
Accidents / Negligence in Prison: 3
*Forty-two (42) additional cases (for a total of 208 documented cases) are reported for which the Cuban state is considered directly or indirectly responsible. Many more cases are feared, particularly in prison and in exit attempts by sea, of which reports are very hard to come by.
Click here for profiles of selected cases and the full list.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
12/15 - 12/22
- Meet Alejandrina Garcia de la Riva
- Preparing the Noose Over Mariel
- Quote of the Week
- Over 30 Ladies in White Arrested Today
- Questions for Raul Castro
- Raul Castro's Rule: Over 200 Deaths and Disappeara...
- Another Ridiculous "Reform": It's All About the Mo...
- Is Venezuela on the Brink of Economic Collapse?
- A Cuban Dissident's Belated Tribute to Mandela
- Pitching the Castro Family's Business Monopoly
- Missing: Cuba's Economy "Czar"
- Shaking Hands With "Libertad" in Cuba
- CNN's Fareed Zakaria (Unwittingly) Supports Cuba S...
- Another "Reformer" Gone Bad
- Appeasement Has Only Emboldened Cuba’s Dictators
- The New York Times Adopts "Anti-Mandela Lobby" Tal...
- Why Did Obama Shake Hands With My Father's Killer,...
- U.S. Lawmakers Regret Not Supporting Sanctions
- A Cuban Connection to North Korea's Purges?
- ▼ 12/15 - 12/22 (19)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)