Yesterday, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon delivered remarks at an event orchestrated by the Castro regime for his "Unite to End Violence Against Women" campaign.
It's cynical enough that the Secretary General did this event in conjunction with the Castro regime, which routinely harasses, beats and imprisons peaceful female activists.
Instead, he should have done this event with Cuba's courageous female democracy and civil society leaders.
But to add extra cynicism, Ban Ki-Moon stated:
"Since [violence against women] is rooted in discrimination, impunity and complacency, we need to change attitudes and behavior – and we need to change laws and make sure they are enforced just like you are doing in Cuba."
The U.N. Secretary General is either ignorant (unlikely) or cynical (likely).
On a weekly basis, the Castro regime launches violent attacks against Cuba's Ladies in White, a peaceful, internationally-recognized, pro-democracy group composed of the wives, daughter and other relatives of current and former political prisoners.
The world has seen the troubling images of the state-sanctioned violence against them -- time and time again.
Yet, Ban Ki-moon has (tragically) chosen to side with the aggressor, rather than the victims.
He should practice what he preaches.
The Secretary General should stop discriminating and being complacent with the state-sanctioned violence against Cuban women, who are no less deserving of fundamental rights and freedoms than anyone else.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/26 - 02/02
- Cuba's Not-So-Self Employed
- Tweet of the Week: On Mexico's President in Cuba
- U.N. Cuba 2014
- Must-Watch: Gusano
- Politifact Debunks Senator Harkin: On Cuban Health...
- Cuba Summit Was Mostly Political Tourism (Circus)
- U.S. Fugitive in Cuba "Re-Surges" in BBC Documenta...
- State Department: CELAC Betrays Democratic Princip...
- Adrienne Arsht's Political Hatchet Job
- Obama Administration (Sadly) Bamboozled by Assad
- Sr. Obama Advisor: Cuba Policy Remains Focused on ...
- The Exception
- Quote of the Day: On Dilma's Cuba Project
- Tweet of the Day: Fear in Cuba
- Venezuela is Cuba's Colony
- The Engagement Model in Full Display
- Tweets of the Day: U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power ...
- IBD Editorial Board: As Leaders Praise Castro, Bea...
- CSW: Cuban Pastor Threatened and Arrested
- Ban Ki-moon's Cynical Remarks in Cuba
- Quote of the Week: From Amnesty International
- Tweet of the Week
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: The Hypocrisy Summit...
- WaPo Editorial Board: EU Mustn't Overlook Human Ri...
- Why the OAS is Irrelevant Today
- Note to Ban Ki-moon: Meet With the Victims
- Over 144 Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit...
- Menendez Foes Stumble in Smear Campaign
- Tweet of the Day
- Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit
- ▼ 01/26 - 02/02 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)