Among other renowned pro-democracy leaders arrested are Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet, Felix Navarro and Yusmila Reyna.
Cuban leading activist Jose Ferrer 'arrested' in Havana
Pro-democracy activists in Cuba say a leading dissident Jose Ferrer has been arrested after meeting European diplomats in the capital, Havana.
The activists said they did not know where Mr Ferrer had been taken.
They have also reported other arrests and intimidation from the Cuban authorities, ahead of a regional gathering of heads of state next week.
Mr Ferrer was planning to attend an unauthorized meeting of dissidents during the summit.
"He was detained late on Friday near my home, where he had been a guest," Elizardo Sanchez, the leader of the illegal but tolerated Cuban Human Rights and National Reconciliation Commission (CCDHRN), told the AFP news agency.
He said that at least eight other activists had been arrested, most of them temporarily, and that they were being targeted because of the international gathering, which opens on Tuesday.
"We fear that a wave of political repression has started ahead the summit, especially in the west of the country," near the capital, he told Efe news agency.
The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Havana says it has become normal practice to detain people to warn them off or keep them out of the way of an event.
The United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the head of the Organisation of American States Jose Miguel Insulza, as well as the presidents from Brazil, Argentina, Peru and other countries, are gathering in Havana on 28-29 January for the summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (Celac).
But alongside the official gathering, pro-democracy activists were planning to stage their own summit without the authorization of the Cuban government.
The Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez complained they were being watched by the authorities and reported police intimidation ahead of the Celac meetings.
"The political police have intercepted my husband @rescobarcasas [Reinaldo Escobar] outside the house to threaten him about #CumbreCELAC", she said on Twitter, referring to the summit.
- ► 2016 (384)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/26 - 02/02
- Cuba's Not-So-Self Employed
- Tweet of the Week: On Mexico's President in Cuba
- U.N. Cuba 2014
- Must-Watch: Gusano
- Politifact Debunks Senator Harkin: On Cuban Health...
- Cuba Summit Was Mostly Political Tourism (Circus)
- U.S. Fugitive in Cuba "Re-Surges" in BBC Documenta...
- State Department: CELAC Betrays Democratic Princip...
- Adrienne Arsht's Political Hatchet Job
- Obama Administration (Sadly) Bamboozled by Assad
- Sr. Obama Advisor: Cuba Policy Remains Focused on ...
- The Exception
- Quote of the Day: On Dilma's Cuba Project
- Tweet of the Day: Fear in Cuba
- Venezuela is Cuba's Colony
- The Engagement Model in Full Display
- Tweets of the Day: U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power ...
- IBD Editorial Board: As Leaders Praise Castro, Bea...
- CSW: Cuban Pastor Threatened and Arrested
- Ban Ki-moon's Cynical Remarks in Cuba
- Quote of the Week: From Amnesty International
- Tweet of the Week
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: The Hypocrisy Summit...
- WaPo Editorial Board: EU Mustn't Overlook Human Ri...
- Why the OAS is Irrelevant Today
- Note to Ban Ki-moon: Meet With the Victims
- Over 144 Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit...
- Menendez Foes Stumble in Smear Campaign
- Tweet of the Day
- Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit
- ▼ 01/26 - 02/02 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)