From the U.S. Department of State:
Migration Talks with Cuba
On Thursday, January 9, U.S. and Cuban officials met in Havana to discuss the implementation of the 1994 and 1995 U.S.-Cuba Migration Accords. This marks the second time since January 2011 that these talks have been held. Under the Accords, both governments pledge to promote safe, legal, and orderly migration between Cuba and the United States. The agenda for the talks reflected longstanding U.S. priorities on Cuba-U.S. migration issues, as well as cooperation on aviation security, search and rescue, and consular document fraud. The U.S. delegation highlighted areas of successful cooperation in migration, exchanging information on the interdiction of undocumented migrants, and clarifying aspects of Cuba’s recent changes in migration policy.
The U.S. delegation reiterated its call for the release of Alan Gross, who was arrested by Cuban authorities on December 3, 2009, and later sentenced to 15 years in prison for facilitating uncensored internet contact between a small, religious community on the island and the rest of the world.
The U.S. delegation was led by Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs Alex Lee and the Cuban delegation was led by the Foreign Ministry’s Director General for U.S. Affairs, Josefina Vidal Ferreiro.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/05 - 01/12
- Tweet of the Day
- Handicapped Dissidents Brutally Beaten
- From The State Department on Migration Talks
- Video: Ladies in White and Small Children Being Ar...
- Mysterious Death of Young American in Cuba
- Homophobic, Neo-Nazi Criminal Flees to Cuba
- Quote of the Day
- Going Dutch on Cuba
- Free Yosvani Melchor
- Castro Regime Attacks Children of Democracy Activi...
- Quote of the Day
- The More Cuba "Changes", the More it Remains the S...
- Raul is the Hard-Liner
- "Cultural Exchange" Farce Not Limited to Cuba, But...
- The Tragic Truth Behind Cuba's Old Cars
- More Record Repression Under Raul Castro
- Sloppy Reporting on Cuba Travel
- Raul's a Laughing Stock
- Quote of the Week
- ▼ 01/05 - 01/12 (19)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)