A Letter to the Editor of Florida Today:
Hit Cuba in pocketbook to help free American
My congratulations to Public Interest Editor Matt Reed for his recent interview with Rick Townson, author of “Hotel Fidel Castro: An American’s nine years in the Cuban gulag.”
During the interview, it was mentioned that Cuba has been holding Alan P. Gross, a Maryland-based contractor for the U.S. Agency for International Development, on patently false espionage charges, in the hope he can be swapped for five confessed Cuban spies imprisoned or paroled in the United States.
As should have been clear from the beginning of this ordeal, Gross is only coming home when his Cuban captors realize the cost of continuing to hold him outweighs the benefits. The only way to make Cuba feel the cost is to hit it in the pocketbook, which means rolling back such signature administration initiatives as liberalized travel to Cuba, which puts desperately needed hard currency in the regime’s coffers. If Judy Gross’ lawyers want to take on the administration, that is where they need to focus their efforts.
The sooner the Cuban government sees fewer cash-carrying U.S. visitors to subsidize its control of the Cuban people, the sooner Alan Gross will be reunited with his suffering family.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/19 - 01/26
- Is Al-Qaeda Laundering Funds Through Cuba?
- Inter-American Democratic Charter, RIP
- Tweet of the Day
- Venezuela Embraces Cuba's Military Monopolies
- Quote of the Week: On Major Street Protest in Holg...
- More Selective Silence From Cuba's Foreign Bureaus...
- Hit Castro's Pocketbook to Help Free American
- The Good (and Gullible) Bob Graham
- A Glitch in the Engagement Narrative
- A Sad Day for Democracy in Latin America
- Quote(s) of the Day
- Lessons from an American in Castro's Gulag
- No Transparency in M&T Bank's Cuba Accounts
- On Castro's Dual Currency Scheme (Scam)
- Panama: Cuba Refuses to Cooperate on Weapons Smugg...
- Dilma Bilking Taxpayers for Castro's Interests
- Welcome to Mariel, Castro's Latest Ruse
- Quote of the Day: EU Common Position to Remain
- Upping the Ransom Ante
- Are Sanctions a Catalyst of Castro's "Reforms"?
- A Principled Mayor
- ▼ 01/19 - 01/26 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)