Upon arriving in Havana last night for the CELAC Summit, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon stated:
"I look forward to hearing views on key issues from peace and security to sustainable development and human rights."
The most thoughtful and effective way to do so is by meeting with Cuban democracy activists and other victims of human rights abuses.
In other words, meeting with those who risk their lives and are imprisoned for defending the principles of the U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights ("UNDHR").
(Many Cuban dissidents have been arrested simply for carrying a copy of the UNDHR.)
Will the Secretary General do so?
Or like his regional counter-part at the Organization of American States (OAS), will he be concerned not to "offend" the last totalitarian dictatorship of the Americas?
In that case, the Secretary General should revise his statement to clarify that he's only interested in one view: that of the aggressor.
- ► 2016 (650)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/26 - 02/02
- Cuba's Not-So-Self Employed
- Tweet of the Week: On Mexico's President in Cuba
- U.N. Cuba 2014
- Must-Watch: Gusano
- Politifact Debunks Senator Harkin: On Cuban Health...
- Cuba Summit Was Mostly Political Tourism (Circus)
- U.S. Fugitive in Cuba "Re-Surges" in BBC Documenta...
- State Department: CELAC Betrays Democratic Princip...
- Adrienne Arsht's Political Hatchet Job
- Obama Administration (Sadly) Bamboozled by Assad
- Sr. Obama Advisor: Cuba Policy Remains Focused on ...
- The Exception
- Quote of the Day: On Dilma's Cuba Project
- Tweet of the Day: Fear in Cuba
- Venezuela is Cuba's Colony
- The Engagement Model in Full Display
- Tweets of the Day: U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power ...
- IBD Editorial Board: As Leaders Praise Castro, Bea...
- CSW: Cuban Pastor Threatened and Arrested
- Ban Ki-moon's Cynical Remarks in Cuba
- Quote of the Week: From Amnesty International
- Tweet of the Week
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: The Hypocrisy Summit...
- WaPo Editorial Board: EU Mustn't Overlook Human Ri...
- Why the OAS is Irrelevant Today
- Note to Ban Ki-moon: Meet With the Victims
- Over 144 Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit...
- Menendez Foes Stumble in Smear Campaign
- Tweet of the Day
- Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit
- ▼ 01/26 - 02/02 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)