News sites are full of stories poking fun of dictator Raul Castro's latest "reform" allowing Cubans to purchase $263,182 Peugeots.
Of course, just a few weeks ago, some of these same sites were lauding this "reform" -- while choosing to ignore basic economic fundamentals.
Yet, we'd warned that this was simply a monopolistic smoke-screen -- a "ridiculous reform."
And there you have it.
The following story is full of great (thought-provoking) quotes capturing reaction in Havana.
By Fernando Ravsberg in Havana Times:
New Cars in Cuba: The Joke’s on You
In practice access to cars in Cuba is more forbidden than before, only now for the price.
“Who is the last in line to buy a car?” asks a Cuban in front of the Peugeot dealership and everyone else laughs out loud. Today was the first day of unrestricted new car sales but the joy received a bucket of cold water: a car costs between US $90,000 and a quarter of a million dollars.
Things are no better with the used cars being offered. A Chinese car with several years of use and tens of thousands of miles costs more than $20,000. “I read it on the internet and I came to see for myself because I couldn’t believe it,” said Vicente Gomez, adding “this has to be a joke.”
Trucker Dorian Lopez loudly showed his indignation saying: “The prices are outrageous; it’s just so they can say they are selling cars in Cuba but it’s really disrespectful.”
It’s because “they are really Peugeot-Ferraris,” laughs another looking at the dealership window.
“This is a trap because if I show up with $260,000 to buy a Peugeot, the next day I’ll have the DTI (police) in my house to arrest me,” explains another person who went to the dealer to verify the prices.
- ► 2016 (645)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/05 - 01/12
- Tweet of the Day
- Handicapped Dissidents Brutally Beaten
- From The State Department on Migration Talks
- Video: Ladies in White and Small Children Being Ar...
- Mysterious Death of Young American in Cuba
- Homophobic, Neo-Nazi Criminal Flees to Cuba
- Quote of the Day
- Going Dutch on Cuba
- Free Yosvani Melchor
- Castro Regime Attacks Children of Democracy Activi...
- Quote of the Day
- The More Cuba "Changes", the More it Remains the S...
- Raul is the Hard-Liner
- "Cultural Exchange" Farce Not Limited to Cuba, But...
- The Tragic Truth Behind Cuba's Old Cars
- More Record Repression Under Raul Castro
- Sloppy Reporting on Cuba Travel
- Raul's a Laughing Stock
- Quote of the Week
- ▼ 01/05 - 01/12 (19)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)